• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Preview: Office file viewing, new text and signature annota

Reaction score
Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Preview: Office file viewing, new text and signature annotation

In Mac OS X Lion, Preview 5.5 gains the ability to view Excel, PowerPoint and Word documents and expands its PDF annotation features.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The feature of being able to open Microsoft Office documents is very welcoming. I currently don't own a copy of Office, so being able to view such documents through a native app is great. I'm always slightly annoyed, when I need to open a document, and the third party app takes forever to open, especially on my 4-5 year old Macbook. Hopefully, I'll be able to upgrade to Lion on that old Macbook.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That's a neat feature. Certainly saves time when you just want to look at your office documents really quick instead of launch the actual application. Office 2008 took like 45-60 seconds to launch sometimes and that seems like forever especially when you are trying to take notes.

Somewhat glad that 2011 is so much faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Lion is going to be awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
whoa.. the signature thing is really awesome.

So now when someone shoots me a document I don't have to print it, sign it, scan it and then email it back off? I can just receive the document, attach my signature and shoot it right back?

how friggin awesome is that?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The signature thing is handy if you need to sign documents. As for the Office format support in Preview, I'm not sure. I have Office and with QuickLook, all my viewing needs are satisfied. For those that don't have Office though, that's a great feature if you only need to view the documents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I hope they update Quick Look to have better Office support. Many times I've come across a Word document that I couldn't preview with Quick Look and instead I had to launch Word to see the contents. Happens with both .doc and .docx files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Wow I can see that signature thing being a con-artist's dream come true.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.