Has my Mac been hacked?

Reaction score
Hello all:

I have read a bunch about how hard it is to hack a mac unless you have set up sharing and networking capabilities, but my strange things keep happening.

Today, after logging on to skype, then coming back to my mac 20 mins later I found a message saying that the date and time of my computer was off...it appeared to be set to before 1999, although when I opened up date and time preferences I think it reset to Dec 31, 2000.

I didn't even go close to my date and time settings, so I am wondering how this happened.

I'm running a Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.6, 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB.

One of my roommates on the same network has opened up sharing preferences, but to the best of my knowledge I have NOT enabled sharing or networking.

Any ideas, about how this might happen?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Louishen...the PRAM fix seems to have worked. Is this something I should consider doing regularly as maintenance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Only do it if some settings seem to have gone wrong, otherwise its not a task that should need to be done

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" i7 2.2
Also, update to 10.6.7, to fix any bugs that might be affecting you

Reaction score
hacked mac

I was on facebook and I clicked a thing that said "change the color of your facebook.
So i went through all the steps and then it started posting things on my facebook and wont et me use twitter. how can i fiz this?

Reaction score
I was on facebook and I clicked a thing that said "change the color of your facebook. So i went through all the steps and then it started posting things on my facebook and wont et me use twitter. how can i fiz this?

Change your password.

C

chas_m

Also, don't click on every fool thing you see on Facebook. Were you on a Windows computer, you'd have a virus now. Luckily, you're on a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.