• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPads surfing the web outnumber Linux machines

Reaction score
iPads surfing the web outnumber Linux machines

linuxipad.jpg

Pingdom has pointed out some interesting stats culled from browser data. It appears that there are now more iPads surfing the web than Linux-based machines.

The chart above features stats from Statcounter and are based on visitor statistics averaged from over 3 million websites. As you can see the top operating systems in the US for the first 19 days of April are Windows with 82 percent of the market, Mac OS X with 14.9 percent of the market, then iOS with 1.18 percent of the market, followed by Linux with 0.71 percent of the market.

What's interesting about these stats is that the iOS market share only includes iPads according to Statcounter. iPhones, iPod touches, and other smartphones were left out. It was only just last year that all iOS-based devices claimed 1.13 percent of all browsing platforms compared to just 0.85% for Linux. Now just one iOS device has achieved the same thing.

iPads surfing the web outnumber Linux machines originally appeared on TUAW on Thu, 21 Apr 2011 19:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
I am part of that <1% at the moment. My wife is using the MBP and I am stuck using the Acer netbook running Ubuntu.

Reaction score
The fact that Linux systems (for the most part) aren't sold at a consumer level base (inside brick and mortar stores) probably plays a big part in this. I personally haven't ever seen Ubuntu or any variant of it running on a computer. Ever.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I personally haven't ever seen Ubuntu or any variant of it running on a computer. Ever.

Really? I guess you don't get around much... There are Linux user's groups and various small organizations throughout the US. All are die-hard Linux users and usually very savvy.

Come to Fort Worth sometime and we'll arrange to let you see Ubuntu running on a Toshiba notebook, Dell, and even an IBM Thinkpad. ;D

Some folks buy cheap netbooks and blow Windows away to install Ubuntu or another variation of Linux.

Reaction score
Poor linux. It's a pretty good operating system, its just not very popular, therefore isn't compatible with a lot of things. I like the customizing aspect of the OS though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Come to Fort Worth sometime and we'll arrange to let you see Ubuntu running on a Toshiba notebook, Dell, and even an IBM Thinkpad. ;D

Some folks buy cheap netbooks and blow Windows away to install Ubuntu or another variation of Linux.

That is what I have done with my older Thinkpad and my Acer netbook. Works a lot better than Vista say on the same hardware and even XP in most cases.

Reaction score
Really? I guess you don't get around much... There are Linux user's groups and various small organizations throughout the US. All are die-hard Linux users and usually very savvy.

Haha looking forward to it man. is it possible to download the OS in the form of an ISO or something and load it on my Mac? I have Parallel Desktop and I have XP/7/Chrome OS all loaded on there. I'd love to give Ubuntu a try :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The fact that Linux systems (for the most part) aren't sold at a consumer level base (inside brick and mortar stores) probably plays a big part in this. I personally haven't ever seen Ubuntu or any variant of it running on a computer. Ever.

When netbooks first hit the scene, many of them were running a variation of Linux, so the OS certainly saw some retail sales. Then Microsoft lowered its licensing fee for Windows and in combination with the netbook optimizations in Windows 7, Linux got thrown by the wayside.

Reaction score
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up; didn't know that. The last computer I got before my current mac was my Asus netbook from Christmas of 08 I think, either 08 or 09. I've used windows for a long time on different machines of varying specs and I can honestly say I'm never leaving OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.