how to rename multiples file at once? And merge folders?

Reaction score
There are 3 things Im missing from windows. The main question:

1)how to rename multiples file at once? In Windows I would select multiple files, second click and rename. Then, the first file would be renamed and all other files would be renamed with (2), (3), (4), etc...how do I do it in Mac OS? I heard its possible using automator, but I couldnt figure it out.

and more over:

2)When moving files, lets say I move a group of files to a new location and some of the files in the new location have the same name as some of the files Im trying to move. In Windows, Im given 3 options: Cancel, Replace, Move and rename (a (2) is automatically added to the file). In Mac Os, Im only given Cancel and Replace. How do I move and rename?

3)In addition when moving folders, in Windows, If I move a folder to a location that alredy has a folder with the same name as the folder Im trying to move, Im given the option to merge the folders into one. In Mac OS Im only given the option to cancel or replace.....how do I merge?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB, SSD ⁞ iPad ⁞ iPhone4 ⁞ 5th Gen iPod
There's an application called "A Better Finder Rename"... give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3,06 Ghz intel dual core
Why is renaming multiple filenames not a standard feature in the iMac/finder??? these are functions that should be standard in a good OS. This is bad.:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why is renaming multiple filenames not a standard feature in the iMac/finder??? these are functions that should be standard in a good OS. This is bad.:Angry:

We're all glad that you consider OS X to be a good OS. But don't be :Angry: . Apple accepts suggestions. Send one to them. The more they get, the better the chances of incorporating the functionality.

By the way, to the OP: I've heard of an add on application to merger folders, just can't remember the name. Maybe a search engine could find that.

C

chas_m

Just because you want to do something does not mean it should be a standard feature of the OS.

Hey, Windows machines regularly get viruses. Should THAT be a standard feature of the Mac OS? I don't think so!

Batch renaming happens rarely enough (outside photography) that it's not really something the typical user would do. We gotta give the third-party devs *something* to work with, you know?

As for the merging folders, however, good news! According to this page, Apple will be adding this option in Lion. I will cheerfully admit that the *option* to merge folders when dragging one on top of another is a good idea Windows had first.

So, the score stands at Windows: 1, Mac: 10,387.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3,06 Ghz intel dual core
that it's not really something the typical user would do..
Not only photography... what about renaming the subtitle-files for Dexter season1,2,3,4,5 and other tv-series for instance.

It would be great for all users not needing to install 3rd party software for small functions like this, because extra software may cause conflicts in time I noticed. Even on a iMac. I'm not talking about viruses. I've read there's much less viruses for iMac luckily. I'm talking about compatibility problems which are mostly caused by 3rd party software.

I'm glad to hear apple accepts suggestions.:) I'm going to have a look on their site to see if I can find where.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Actually I do batch renames all the time. Then again, I do it in terminal, not the GUI. That being said, I've heard many people like 'Better Finder' for this type of stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
1)how to rename multiples file at once? In Windows I would select multiple files, second click and rename. Then, the first file would be renamed and all other files would be renamed with (2), (3), (4), etc...how do I do it in Mac OS? I heard its possible using automator, but I couldnt figure it out.
Batch Rename | Automator World

and more over:

2)When moving files, lets say I move a group of files to a new location and some of the files in the new location have the same name as some of the files Im trying to move. In Windows, Im given 3 options: Cancel, Replace, Move and rename (a (2) is automatically added to the file). In Mac Os, Im only given Cancel and Replace. How do I move and rename?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2139308?start=0&tstart=0

3)In addition when moving folders, in Windows, If I move a folder to a location that alredy has a folder with the same name as the folder Im trying to move, Im given the option to merge the folders into one. In Mac OS Im only given the option to cancel or replace.....how do I merge?
OS X: how to merge folder contents, not replace - MacRumors Forums

Sorry I haven't tried any of the suggestions...

Alot of things can be achieved within the confines of Mac using automator, and/or applescript. That being said, 3rd party apps often just make them prettier (grins), but I have found that often the mac equivalents are more powerful.

Words of advice: 1) Use google; a word search including "Mac" or OS version or OSX will often get what you are looking for, search for "Mac equivalent" will go a long way too.

2) take a look thru the sticky at the top of "Switcher's Hangout" and actually all the subforums in "Mac-Forums".

3) The less you try to compare and maybe just ask "How do I...", the happier you will be and the more helpful and less irratable others will be. Understand that Mac was never a copy of Windows, Windows just made themselves more accessible quicker (and cheaper) then mac did.

Reaction score
I created an Automator service to do it. If you create a new service in Automator and add the same functions I did, you can easily batch rename by selecting all files you want, right click and select "Services" and run it from there. Sorry if my screenshot is a little pixelated. :[
Batch%252520Rename%252520Service.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
OS X Lion will let you merge folders, and will be available in a matter of days. Just give it time. It will also enable truly full screen apps. So eventually these kinds of features make their way to OS X.

I use Namechanger to rename multiple files. It works pretty good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.