Locking Mail

Reaction score
Is there a way to just lock the Mail. I don't mind if others users get on my computer. I just don't want them snooping into my mail. I really don't want to log out or lock the entire computer.

Reaction score
It's not ideal, but you could probably create password protected DMG file (with Disk Utility), and put Mail in there. Then, if somebody tries to run the program, the DMG will have to open first -- which won't happen without the password...

C

chas_m

No, no, no, no, no.

DO NOT let other people use YOUR ACCOUNT. This is *precisely* why Mac OS X is a multi-user account system. You don't have to log out, just turn on "fast user switching" and let them use the Guest account. Once they are done, all their crap is gone like it never happened, and all your stuff is untouched.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
...I don't mind if others users get on my computer.

You're going to mind the first time one of them "accidentally" deletes one of your applications or the document you've spent hours working on or some system file they think you don't need or playing around in terminal with some new thing they just learned and now your system won't even boot into the OS any longer or maybe you've got an auto login on your Facebook, Twitter or some other online account and they decide to play a joke on you.

No, no, no, no, no.

DO NOT let other people use YOUR ACCOUNT. This is *precisely* why Mac OS X is a multi-user account system. You don't have to log out, just turn on "fast user switching" and let them use the Guest account. Once they are done, all their crap is gone like it never happened, and all your stuff is untouched.

Ditto - not even my wife is allowed to log in on my computers into my account and I don't do it on hers unless she's requested me to "fix" it (which hasn't really happened since I moved her to a Mac).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Absolutely, fast switching is the way to go if you absolutely must let anyone near your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.