• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My time to positively rant about my G5's :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Ever since I got a hold of 2 G5's, one being a single 1.6 processor, and the other being a dual 1.8, I've noticed something. These computers run VERY consistently, day in, day out! I can't even remember when the last time I turned my G51.8 off was. It only has 2gb of ram, and has a dated graphics card, which does hesitate a little with real hd videos, but besides that, it's been the most consistent running computer I have EVER used...sorry MBP:( still love ya though! What shocks me is that this G5 has a manufacturing date of 2004! I've been using it every day, up until a week ago when I had a glass of water spill on my apple keyboard:( Unfortunately, the stupid bi-polar weather here in Cleveland has stopped me from working on the 1.6, but it will get done soon. I have no intentions of selling it anymore...at all!

But, this left me wondering one thing. What is it about these computers that makes them run like this? Is it the PowerPC processor, or the way things work under the different codes made when PowerPC processors were out?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Could be a combination of both? Too bad PCC are slowly be phased out, otherwise I would still be using one too.

Darn you Adobe CS5. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
PPC being phased out forced my update from a Dual Core 2.3GHz G5 to a Mac Pro, however Mac Pros are just as solid as the older G5's being so similar in build, just updated processors etc.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
well mine was dead as a dodo (Quad G5) and it wasnt anything major like a liquid leak. oh well!

Reaction score
Ever since I got a hold of 2 G5's, one being a single 1.6 processor, and the other being a dual 1.8, I've noticed something. These computers run VERY consistently, day in, day out! I can't even remember when the last time I turned my G51.8 off was. It only has 2gb of ram, and has a dated graphics card, which does hesitate a little with real hd videos, but besides that, it's been the most consistent running computer I have EVER used...sorry MBP:( still love ya though! What shocks me is that this G5 has a manufacturing date of 2004! I've been using it every day, up until a week ago when I had a glass of water spill on my apple keyboard:( Unfortunately, the stupid bi-polar weather here in Cleveland has stopped me from working on the 1.6, but it will get done soon. I have no intentions of selling it anymore...at all!

But, this left me wondering one thing. What is it about these computers that makes them run like this? Is it the PowerPC processor, or the way things work under the different codes made when PowerPC processors were out?
How do these older computers run "differently" than your MBP? Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying but they're computers right? How much variation can there be from day to day?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I don't think that the G5's/Powermac G5's are any more stable than Apple Intel computers. Also...I think that there are a good number of folks that would disagree (about stability). The G5's do run hotter, and the Powermac G5's have all those fans...and when you start watching internet videos or start taxing the system...all the fans kick into high gear making it sound like a 747 is about to take off.

But all of this doesn't really matter if you've had no stability problems. So it's good to hear that your two G5's are running great!!!:) Aren't these the two you got for like $200 bucks...and you painted one of them blue? Ahh yes...just saw the "blue" in your signature!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.