Network Plan Assistence

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have read many of the previous posts and although I've found small tidbits of information, I have not really found anyone attempting to do what I want (and I'm not even sure that this is possible) however, have seen that there are many-many posters here who are far more knowledgeable than I am! I hope you guys can help.

[Noteworthy
I am primarily an 'end user' and by that I mean there are very few applications that I run outside of iTunes, Safari, iChat, Skype, iMail and infrequently MSFT office (word/excel) and Photoshop. (I currently have an old MacBook 2GB RAM 250GB storage 2.6 Core Duo that has only 20 GB left)

Here is what I would like to do.....
I want to buy a MacBook Air (11 inch) primarily because of its portability - I split my week between Brooklyn & Manhattan and would like to have my computer with me in both places. The iPad does not meet my needs primarily due to the lack of real multitasking and flash. I purchased one for my dad and he loves it but I find myself often frustrated by its limitations.

I would like to have a network setup in my home that will allow me to access my media/applications as I'm aware that my Air isn't powerful enough to support everything I do esp from a storage capacity and want to have access to these files/programs without being wired into anything. So basically i want to take my mac around and whatever is in there is cool. I can get on the web launch iTunes write email etc etc..... but when I get home I want to have "functional access" to everything that I have. I dont want to wait with huge lag times to launch a file etc.

A friend suggested getting Airport Extreme and an external hard drive but from reading reviews, people say that file sharing NAS functionality on the Extreme is very poor.

Does anyone have any insight on how to do this properly and not break the bank?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.