V. weird problem - wifi network regularly disappears off list

Reaction score
I've got a problem that I can't find reported anywhere on the web!

I am using a MacBook intel core duo running OSX 10.6.6

I use it at work where we run a wireless network through a '2-wire' router supplied by BT (British Telecom).

With increasing regularity I'll be using the wireless network and it will drop out, disconnecting me from our NAS and internet connection. The network will completely disappear from my list of available networks, whilst colleagues using PC's will be happily using the very same network sitting right beside me.

I've tried obvious things like rebooting, turning airport on and off, deleting all other preferred networks off my list, even rebooting whilst holding down p & r (suggested from a forum)

none of this seems to work.

The network just reappears according to it's own wish but it can take hours for it to do this. I haven't noticed any pattern to why this happens.

Any help would be really really appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Do you have configure IPv4 (DHCP) in internet in system preferences and do you have remember networks this computer has joined checked.

OP
Aliw
Reaction score
hi osxx,

thanks for your comment

just checked and it's a yes to both of those

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
What channel is the router using?
I would change to channel 11 as Mac machines prefer that for some reason.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Same problem

I had the exact same problem.

Changed the channel to eleven and it got back to work.

Thanks.

OP
Aliw
Reaction score
Aaaggghhh! I have changed channel to 11, initially it was positive and I got more up time. Now I can almost never see the network from my Mac. PCs still working no problem. Is it my Mac or the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aaaggghhh! I have changed channel to 11, initially it was positive and I got more up time. Now I can almost never see the network from my Mac. PCs still working no problem. Is it my Mac or the router?

Do you have dropped internet if you take the MacBook somewhere else or is it stable everywhere but home?

OP
Aliw
Reaction score
Great question! I feel a bit stupid for not having asked myself the same one. I only really use the computer in 2 locations, home and the office. At home it is stable, but in the office, trouble.
I guess that points to a quirk between my computer and the work router?

OP
Aliw
Reaction score
actually I've just remembered that my air port card did disappear completely a couple of weekends ago at home. But came back after I switched off and left it to rest a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may have a bad Airport Card might not hurt to take it in to Apple and explain what happened they did have some with bad cards you might have to google your year model
and bad cards.

OP
Aliw
Reaction score
Thanks osxx, I might have to face the music and get a new card, but it does seem weird though that I get a fantastic selection of wireless networks I can see from my office. It's only the one that I sit in the same room as disappears!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.