Samsung drive freezes up computer

Reaction score
Hello. I see a lot of people have had issues with the cheap Samsung drives but none seem to have the same problem I do.

My mac is a Powerbook G4 w/ OS X 10.4.11.

The DVD drive on the Mac stopped working about a year ago. No idea why. The Mac store wouldn't (couldn't?) tell me what the issue was. They just said they'd fix "any and all problems" for $350. That is way more than I have to spend. I had to buy the cheapest DVD drive I could find. In comes the Samsung SE-S084 (Compatible with Mac OS X 10.4.6 or above).

The first drive (which I sent back the next day) would not show on the desktop. I had to plug it in then restart my computer. Then it would pop up on the desktop. But Itunes still would act like nothing was plugged in. Luckily, I had no problem ripping and then burning a DVD w/ Mac The Ripper and DVD2oneX2. One time. That's it. After that, the drive did nothing. Every time I tried to use it it would just sit there. Nothing. Dead.

So I sent it back and just got the replacement. Hey, Itunes recognized it!! Whohoo! I even ripped a few songs off of a few CDs. Then I put in a CD-r with songs on it. Itunes freaks out. I get the swirly cursor and itunes does nothing. In return the drive does nothing. I have to use a paperclip to remove my CD. Itunes will not shut down, not even force quite. I have to restart my computer. This happens over and over. But now, not even that happens. Now all I have is a dead drive like before. It just sits there. No disc is recognized. (Paperclips are very useful with this drive).

Help.:\

I hope this makes sense. I have my two year old hanging off of me while I try to write this :) I'm not very tech minded so even though I have spent hours searching for an answer and trying things I've come up with nothing. Hope you can help me. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.