USB usage

Reaction score
Just purchased a Mac three weeks ago. I need to transfer stuff from one external hard drive to another one in order to empty it to use for the Mac backup. (They both have information on them.)

Can I plug both into the USB ports at the same time and transfer directly from one to the other? I don't necessarily want to put all the stuff on the drives into the Mac but still want to hang on to what's stored. Would there be a conflict in opening these up at the same time or should I plug one in and open it and then plug the other one in and open it?

Plugging two external hard drives into the USB ports at the same time will not be too much for the Mac, will it? Is there a limit to how many things can be plugged into a Mac without it crashing?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Plugging two external hard drives into the USB ports at the same time will not be too much for the Mac, will it? Is there a limit to how many things can be plugged into a Mac without it crashing?

Should be OK. If too much power is being drawn from any USB port, your Mac will let you know and will disable that port until the device is removed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.