Advice on MacbookPro vs. Air

Reaction score
I'm a Mac lover who's been stuck in a PC world all my life, and I'm finally making the switch to replace my HP notebook with a Mac notebook. I'm wavering between the 13 inch Pro and Air, and hoped to get some advice.

I'm a travel writer, so I'll have this notebook on the road a lot, which is one reason the Air appeals to me. I also love the concept of the flash memory and the fast response (I am very impatient...when I open an application, I want it open yesterday.) On the flip side, this will be my primarily computer at home too, so it won't be a secondary just for use on the road. I do light video editing and photo editing and run several applications at once on a regular basis for my work, and I'm worried that while 2GB is probably enough memory for me either way, the Air's processor won't be enough for me. The Pro is only a few pounds heavier, and will give me more power for the $. I don't think I'll miss the optical drive, so that's a non-issue.

Thoughts?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don't believe the processor will be an issue but we always seem to need more RAM, and with the MBA you have to live with what comes with your system (not upgradeable). So, I would go for 4Mb unless the additional cost was a deal breaker.
Also, though no one outside of Apple knows their upgrade cycle I would not buy the MBA now. There is too much of possibility that we will see Thunderbolt (high speed data port) and newer high speed low power processors coming out in a refresh around the mid to late year (along with release of Lion OSX).
So, I would go with the MBA, but I would wait unless I just had to have a new computer right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The Air will meet your needs, but as a primary computer, it may not in the future.
Non upgradable RAM and Flash drive, lack of ports and optical drive, and the kicker, no backlit keyboard.
You want things up and running yesterday, well, you'll be amazed at how fast the Macbook Pro is.
You should go into Apple and check it out.
Also, you can install an SSD in the Macbook Pro and upgrade the RAM yourself if it's not instant enough for you.
As you said, you are talking about a couple of pounds or so difference.
The Macbook Pro is quite light, and very compact as it is.
As a second Mac I would maybe go the Air, but I would not choose it over the Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If you have access to either a Best Buy or Apple Store, go there and pick them both up.

In my own opinion, the MBA is little more than Apple's version of the Windows Netbook. Useful for light work but geared towards internet consumption. I think you will find it less than adequate for what you want to do.

The MBP will do what you want it to do. With the right bag, the weight will not be an issue. I would really consider moving to the 15" version, however. 13" is a small very screen if you want to work on it as a main machine and more than an hour or two at a time.

Again, if you can get to a store to see them first hand, you will really save yourself in the end.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
On the flip side, this will be my primarily computer at home too, so it won't be a secondary just for use on the road.

I think that statement pretty much makes the case for going with the MacBook Pro over the Air.

The Air, while a fine notebook, is more intended to be a travel companion, not a full-time workhorse. The primary compelling feature for the Air is its thinness. But that's not to say that the 13" MBP is a tank either, it's amongst the thinnest notebooks in its class, and is a very light machine.

I think one of my biggest concerns with the Air is that you can't do much with it in terms of upgrading. The memory is soldered fast and there is no way to add more. The flash drive, while neat, is a proprietary design and can't be easily (or cost-effectively) upgraded. So, what you buy, is what you will have, for the life of the machine.

The 13" MacBook Pro, on the other hand, is very upgradeable, has a full complement of ports, an optical drive, and can be equipped with a flash drive.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Asking about processing power at a computer enthusiast site is about like asking a bunch of motorheads how much horse-power you need.
I don't disagree with the comments above (but I do in part). My 2007 MBP and my wife's 2006 MB would be more than sufficient to do what you want to do, and the 2011 MBA has similar Geekbench rating to my MBP, so with what you have described as your usage the MBA should be sufficient.

I absolutely agree the MBP would be more computer for the money and more power. Only you can decide if the additional weight is worth the difference. And, I wholeheartedly second going to the Apple store and trying them out first.

Reaction score
I had this same dilemma when I was at the Apple Store trying to decide which one to get. I went with the Pro because, like everyone said, its upgradeable and the weight difference is not a deal breaker.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you all!

I love the concept of MBA, but think the majority is right: I need something that will grow with me if needed, and won't potentially limit me. I appreciate the expertise!:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.