My MacBook Pro wont download anything

Reaction score
I just got my 1st MacBook Pro and I am delighted.

However, I have one big problem that I hope I can solve somehow.

My MacBook Pro just wont download anything. Download does start, but then it slowes down and finally stops.
Cant do any updates, download Skype (downloads 4MB and freezes), or anything else.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks a lot!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
hmm, is you internet connection reliable?

try a repair permissions in disk utility.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
But, it is brand new, 4 days old.

repairing permissions is a common maintenance procedure, doenst matter how old it is.

also, your internet connection has nothing to do with your computer. if you have a dodgy connection, youll never be able to download anything, regardless of whether you are using a £2000 MBP, or £40 PC.

If you dont want to try and fix it yourself, take it back to Apple and let them deal with it.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I just got my 1st MacBook Pro and I am delighted.

However, I have one big problem that I hope I can solve somehow.

My MacBook Pro just wont download anything. Download does start, but then it slowes down and finally stops.
Cant do any updates, download Skype (downloads 4MB and freezes), or anything else.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks a lot!

That definitely seems odd - you certainly shouldn't be having that kind of problem. What kind of network connection are you using? Wired or wireless? A couple of quick checks I would do - verify that you have decent connectivity using Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test.

Can you really not download "anything" or just Skype? There's a few things to take a look at before heading back to the Apple store. It doesn't hurt to do a permissions repair as Rob suggested - but post back and we'll look at a few options.

C

chas_m

Have you (foolishly) downloaded or installed any sort of "anti-virus" type product? Or maybe a so-called "download manager" called Speed Download?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.