• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Dual Core Chips

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
This one is more intel then Apple but because of the recent mactel announement I thought it fit in the forum.

Intel is planning on releasing dual core chips along all their lines, including the celtrino line.

Demo: Thers a small demo lacking in sufficent amount of information but it is there... Right hand side. http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentiumXE/index.htm

Reaction score
Where did you hear about mobile dual core processord? I haven't heard anything from Intel on them yet.

J

Jonster

yeah, i heard about this. it sounds cool, but i wouldn't utilize it all that well. it's not all that great for gaming, but ... i dunno. technology updates are nifty i guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Jonster said:
yeah, i heard about this. it sounds cool, but i wouldn't utilize it all that well. it's not all that great for gaming, but ... i dunno. technology updates are nifty i guess.

Not necessarily- games could be written to utilize it better than they are today. If PC manufacturers make the same move, then the code will gradually be optimized for the new rigs.

But you're right- games are way more gfx griven these days, so you'd still have to cough up for that Nvidia or ATI card...

Reaction score
Jonster said:
Overtime all software, including games will take advantage of mutliple processing cores. The transition will take some time in the home market as almost everything is written for single processors.

Another innovation which will probably make it to the Mac at some point in the coming years is the Physics Processing unit. You can read up on it here. Both Asus and BFG will be manufacturing and selling them by the end of this year. They will be priced from $100-$400 depending on the model you choose. The PS3 is also going to have one of these PPU cores integrated as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, dual core goodness to replace dual-proc loudness?

J

Jonster

Avid6eek said:
Overtime all software, including games will take advantage of mutliple processing cores. The transition will take some time in the home market as almost everything is written for single processors.

Another innovation which will probably make it to the Mac at some point in the coming years is the Physics Processing unit. You can read up on it here. Both Asus and BFG will be manufacturing and selling them by the end of this year. They will be priced from $100-$400 depending on the model you choose. The PS3 is also going to have one of these PPU cores integrated as well.

well, what i was thinking mostly, was that iit wouldn't be worth getting one now just because nothing is really up to date on it and nothing really utilizes it yet. it's just like, if any of you know about the windows xp pro 64 bit. not a lot of things utilize it yet, so it's not worth getting it until later ... maybe years later.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What would be the point of having one of those PPU's if you don't play games... are there any other uses to them besides playing games?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Final Cut Studio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Yes, a Physics Processing Unit will be useful as heck in rendering video and anything which requires any sort of animation at all... which is a heck of a lot more than games.

Let me also say that the current dual proc systems are NOT all that loud- the G5 powermacs are actually surprisingly quiet- much quieter than their PC equivalents (and a bit cheaper!)

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if mac brought this tecnology in to the G5 market.. althought they wont... The compuer would have 3 processors? the the PPU and the 2 CPU's.. and these would help in the rendering having a PPU in there.. wow.. I want apple to get this technology in.. anything to help those rendering times would be awesome..

Reaction score
The PPU specializes in physics calculations. Graphics cards are starting to be limited by system processors. The processors simply cannot handle everything they have to do to keep a game moving as fast as the video card would like to. An example of such a think would be moving water, or shattering glass. A dedicated PPU could potentially offer hundreds of times more performance.

sevenhelmet said:
the G5 powermacs are actually surprisingly quiet- much quieter than their PC equivalents (and a bit cheaper!)
My dual 2.5Ghz G5 Powermac was a very loud system. Things as small as launching Safari would get the fans to spin up to their maximum speed. I also had a GeForce 6800 Ultra and 10,000 rpm drives so they system ran warmer than your average PowerMac. As for cheaper, the Wintel world has moved onto dual core processors, so a single processor PC can easily handle a Powermac at a fraction of the cost. Of course that's a whole different debate, and no point in jacking this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.