Frustration! Mc Froze :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Well dog gone it! I had to give my Mac "The Button" today. Here is what happened.

I started Parallels. After Win7 started my computer became VERY sluggish. Unusable. Clicking an app in the Mac side took about 2 minutes to respond. I thought I would close Windows and stop Parallels. Windows started to shut down then froze. I pressed Command-Shift-3 to capture the screen. Two minutes later I heard the click that told me the screen had been captured. I looked at this screen for 30 minutes:

Screen Capture

As you can see in the midst of all this Time Machine thought is would be a good time to back up my system. That only made matters worse.

I finally pressed the power button to shut down the Mac. I must say my computer rebooted quickly and ran without an issues.

But darn it, that is exactly why I bought a Mac, so I would not have these kinds of issues.

Sadly
Monty

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I duplicated the steps that gave me trouble. No problems. Everything is working now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
You probably were using all of your RAM by starting Windows. Probably didn't help that you by opening a app in OS X when the Windows was updating.

Glad you had no problems the second time!

- Kyle

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
SO how much memory do you have on the MBP and how much are you giving Parallels to run? I had 4GB before my iMac and gave 2 to VirutalBox for Linux and 2 for OS X and things were definitely sluggish while the VM was running..

I recently upgraded to 12GB of memory and have 4GB assigned to the VM and the rest to OS X and now everything works without any hitch..

Half the time I forget that the VM is even running in a different space..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SO how much memory do you have on the MBP and how much are you giving Parallels to run? I had 4GB before my iMac and gave 2 to VirutalBox for Linux and 2 for OS X and things were definitely sluggish while the VM was running..

I recently upgraded to 12GB of memory and have 4GB assigned to the VM and the rest to OS X and now everything works without any hitch..

Half the time I forget that the VM is even running in a different space..

Regards

I wish I had 12 GB. Jeez, what are you doing? Making Inception 2? :p

- Kyle

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 8GB of ram. I gave 4 to Parallels.
I do have a slower Hard Disk. 500 GB 5400rpm I think I am going to get a faster hard disk
I suspect that will help. Any thoughts on that?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I had 12 GB. Jeez, what are you doing? Making Inception 2? :p

- Kyle

Haha..hardly..I had 2 spare slots on the iMac and I grabbed the 8GB of (4GBx2) stick for like $80..and having lots of memory (especially when it's this cheap) is never a bad thing..;)

Regards

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 8GB of ram. I gave 4 to Parallels.
I do have a slower Hard Disk. 500 GB 5400rpm I think I am going to get a faster hard disk
I suspect that will help. Any thoughts on that?

What are the full specs of your MBP? The faster HD might take some of the slowness anyway, but hard to say how much..a fast CPU also makes a big difference of course..

On my i7 iMac, I actually give VirtualBox 4 CPUs to play with so things are fast inside the VM and outside as well...

With a Core2Duo machine you're a little more limited..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha..hardly..I had 2 spare slots on the iMac and I grabbed the 8GB of (4GBx2) stick for like $80..and having lots of memory (especially when it's this cheap) is never a bad thing..;)

Regards

I'm maxed out on my Macbook with only 4 GB ram :Grimmace:

- Kyle

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an i7 quad core 2GHz quad core

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm maxed out on my Macbook with only 4 GB ram :Grimmace:

- Kyle

Thankfully my iMac has a 16GB max, and I didn't want to replace the stock 4GB that came with the machine..

I have an i7 quad core 2GHz quad core

Ahh..well in that case, you can give the VM up to 4 CPUs and you should be still fine on the OS X side..

A little strange that with 8GB of memory you had issues..hopefully they were isolated..

Regards

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like it was a one time occurrence. Life is good now :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.