virgin media super hub

Reaction score
I have recently changed from orange broadband to virgin medias 50MB service,all is well speeds connection etc except for some reason it wont load apples' home page,and stv news site doesnt load properly,ive been on phone to their tech people countless times,even got a new router and tried it at a friends house (virgin also) to no avail,my machine is an imac 24,below is a screenshot of stv news,any help appreciate thanks.
Screen shot 2011-04-16 at 22.16.19.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Have you tired clearing your browser cache? Do that and try again, if all else is working there's no reason for the router to cause this issue, unless there some obscure port blocking going on.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks for replying,ive tried that on,safari,chrome,firefox and opera,also when i try to sign into my hotmail account it wont load page unless i remove the 's' in https in the address bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hmm. Try some port scanning software to see if that hub is blocking ports somewhere. Very odd though. I know it's not the greatest thing in the world, countless peole have had issues with it. I don't even know if it's possible to port forward it anyway.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks again for replying,it seems that i need to remove DNS servers which maybe causing this issue but i cant get an option in preferences to do this i can add more but cant remove the 2 that are there,any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, switch to Open DNS instead. It's free and many of us here use it.
It's a simple process, and you just edit the DNS servers in Network preferences.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks again,ive done as you suggested and i can now load the apple pages no problem but now i cant load my facebook page properly and still wont load stv news properly as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is indeed strange.
Have you tried rebooting the hub since you changed DNS servers?

OP
D
Reaction score
This is indeed strange.
Have you tried rebooting the hub since you changed DNS servers?

done that and hey presto my facebook,apple and hotmail pages are as they should be,no luck with the stv news but im not fussed about that,many many thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
done that and hey presto my facebook,apple and hotmail pages are as they should be,no luck with the stv news but im not fussed about that,many many thanks.

put tha champagne back on ice,facebook now doesnt load

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, going to do some digging tomorrow and come back yo you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A couple of ideas then, after much digging!
Do you have a wi-fi router of your own still? There is a way to use it connected to the superhub, and therefore bypass all of it's internal workings, that seem to be the cause of most issues.
Or you can possibly just go back to the set up you had previously.
You can turn off ipflood detection and the firewall too, which may help (advanced settings).
Apparantly there are firmware upgrades coming next month too, which may solve the issue.
Please come back and let me know if anything works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.