Another printer thread....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram
I know this gets posted often, but My problem is a bit different from most I've seen. I am trying to print off of my iBook to my canon pixma ip5000 which is connected to my pc desktop running xp pro. when I look forthe printer using my mac, I find it using the printer setup utility, under ip printer, and clicking on more printers. I then select windows printing and network neighborhood and navigate to the printer, which it does see as canonpix, Canon Pixma ip5000. My problem is in the drivers. osx doesn't seem to have the driver built in, so I installed the canon ones, I tried the one from the cd and one downlopaded off of the internet. Both of them don't show up in the drop down box at all and don't set up the printer at all. I can't even find a trace ofthem after they are installed even using spotlight. Holw can I get it working?

Btw- I also have a canon bjc-2000 hooked up to the same computer and I can print to that using the driver included in osx just fine.

Reaction score
Did you followed all the steps for the Mac OS drivers installation? the one included with your printer
There is a step where you restar your computer, when restarting you printer should be on and connected to your computer, when running "Printer setup Utility" from the utilities folder in Applications it will look for the just installed driver ip5000 but only if the printer is connected and turned on

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so I have to plug it directly in to get it work over the network? This is a network printer that I want to connect to. Yes, I did restart the computer, but it wasn't connected directly to the iBook, it was on the network.

H

Harryc

FWIW, Canon driver support for Unix/linux is garbage :). I have a Pixma ip3000 and I have to use the BJC-7000-Gimp-Print drivers. Try them. If they work, manually configure the output to 600x600 dpi. You might not be able to print photots, but otherwise the printer will work.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
any possiblity of getting the normal drivers working? I would like to be able to print photos somewhat and have all the duplex and other options available, esp. since there is an osx driver.

H

Harryc

What happens if you connect the Canon to your iBook directly just to get the drivers installed, then move it back to the Windows PC? I think alejandrico was basically saying the same thing. My hunch is that your photo printing days are over unless you connect it directly to your iBook to print them, but I hope that I am wrong. Were you at least able to get basic network printing working using the drivers I mentioned? Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
This was basically the same problem that I have had with my HP. I was finally told by HP and Apple that this setup was not supported. I wish I could make it work, but it's not the end of the world.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I hook it in directly it works fine. I still don't get the driver in the network printing window, though. I will try that other driver, though.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it doesn't really work for me, it does not seem to support printing from the casset as opposed to the top load feeder. I need the real driver to work with networking. It works fine in windows, why couldn't canon do the same for osx?

H

Harryc

aeiou said:
Well, it doesn't really work for me, it does not seem to support printing from the casset as opposed to the top load feeder. I need the real driver to work with networking. It works fine in windows, why couldn't canon do the same for osx?
FWIW, Canon driver support for Unix/linux is garbage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
This is a really stupid suggestion, but did you restart your Mac after loading the drivers?

I had this problem with my Epson C84, and even after loading the correct drivers on my iBook they didn't show up. Restarting the iBook and going through the process of adding a networked printer again caused the new drivers to show up.

This happened twice-- the more aggravating situation was with my Samsung ML-1430 laser printer, which Samsung used to support in the US: I had to search their international site to get the OSX drivers and then configure it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the drivers made me restart right after they installed.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
great, I called canon tech support to see if they could help or give any insight. They said that they don't support network printing. erg. They put it in the windows drivers, why not mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.