• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Modding Car with Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
As many of you know.. I have recently crashed my audi that I was planning on modding with mac products... (and a touch screen and what not).. I figured some of you would have liked to see a picture of the car crashed.. here are the pictures before I go on to ask my question. http://community.webshots.com/album/419667695NThEFF

So Now I am planning on modifying my current ford escape with mac products... computer touch screen and such.. I decided I would also like ot put cameras on it. to make it easier to see everything around me... (not as a replacement to mirors but a guide) also for backing up ;)...

So my question to you is what kind of cameras would you recomend for this purpose.. would you put them in hide away places on the outside of the car or in places on the inside of the car... thank you in advanced for your suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I'd put one on the left quarter panel pointing to the left... people tend to hit you there first.

;-)

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK... i don't thank you the advice, I hope not to hit anything again... or get hit ... but I wouldn't mind having a little video recording of every angle incase people decide to hit me, i will have awesome evidence with my video ;)

D

danielbruzual

check out Mp3car , they have tons of detailed projects which will give you some ideas on the cabling and the installation of the componets.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the link... helps alot.. browsing through that site now.

B

badmojo

I would mount an iSight, looking through the rear window. Since this camera is autofocus I would imagine this would be pretty handy. Sorry about the Audi; that was a sweet ride.

Reaction score
They make cameras specifically for that task. I have seen them on motorhomes and some people with just big SUVs. I think they can be mounted outside the car since they are designed to hold up to the weather and such.

Is that car totalled or just going to take awhile to get fixed? No point in doing anything to another car if you will get that back eventually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I'm no expert.... But that looks totalled to me. I can't imagine that a hit that hard didn't bend the frame.

I'm just glad you hit up front and not couple feet towards the back... or we might not be having this conversation at all.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The car is totaled got a new car...
Hit a pole to cause that much damage..

Thank you for your advice with the modding of my new car with macs ;)

M

MightyMac

Seriously, what a waste of time and money. Save your money and put it towards something that you'll actually use. I can't understand why anybody would want to do this, especially to a Ford Escape. It's a nice car and all, but certainly not one worth sooping up. Give me the money...i'll invest it for you free of commission and promise double on your return within a year. Then, if you still want to, you can mac-up your escape and still have enough for a new mactel and nice leather jacket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
you got off lucky, my cousin had everything, literally, everything totalled. the trunk cover popped open. the engine cover flew off, the bumpers were somewhere.... its now a super ultra mini compact car. all because of a blowout

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
whats wrong with putting a mac in his new car, that they whole point of modding.

i dont know what the modding scene in the US is like but here in the UK people buy a new car at like £7000 and then spend upto and over £20,000 modding it :eek:

down to personal taste and also as long as he doesnt go too mad with moding the interior he can return it back to standard when he sells it and put it all in his new ride

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
inflexion said:
whats wrong with putting a mac in his new car, that they whole point of modding.

i dont know what the modding scene in the US is like but here in the UK people buy a new car at like £7000 and then spend upto and over £20,000 modding it :eek:

down to personal taste and also as long as he doesnt go too mad with moding the interior he can return it back to standard when he sells it and put it all in his new ride

This is true... or I can leave it in and sell it and try to get more money for it because of the interior modding ;) lol

Reaction score
Never plan on selling a modded car for more than an un-modded one would sell for because no one wants to pay extra for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.