jumping icons on dock!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1
Hi,
i dont know what is happening whenever i start the Mac all the icons on dock starts jumping...but when i click they work......i do like these jumping icons but now they are annoying.....my galfrnd did something when i was not at home....i dont want to reinstall(as i heard warranty is void if you dont go to apple store and there is none near by in 700kms...)
what could be the problem as she said she did nothing but i guess she did terrible things to it....did she by mistake change some settings i couldnt find....

Also doing reinstall, is it simple(i will do if no problem with warranty) and will all the same applications will be there which were when i purchased.......

so help me out thanks....also they are always jumping but they dont work untill i double click themm

thankyou

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
I believe that what you are seeing is all of your applications launching at startup automatically. You can disable these launching at start-up thru your user settings under preferences. It has been a while since I had to tinker with these settings myself so perhaps another poster can give detailed instructions on where to find this in your system preferences or simply Google "disable apps launching at startup OS X". Or something to that effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
SystemPreferences>Accounts>Login Items.

Then go ahead and uncheck them all. Having any to start up at login will slow the start up tim of the Mac.
Now to find system preferences click on the  icon in the top left.

Now i dont know WHO told you about your warranty being voided if you re-install the OS, but they could not be more wrong. I can re-install it once a day every day of the 1 year warranty and  will still honour the the warranty.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Navigate to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items, click the one you don't want to launch at startup and click the minus button below. Do this for each app you don't want launching.
As for re-install, you can do this from home without voiding the warranty, as if it were true that you had to go to your Apple store then every time a new OS came out then the stores would be rammed for weeks on end with people wanting it installed.

Hope this helps

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I would advise you to take a look at Apple's Warranty which should have shipped with your computer. Or you can look here Apple - One Year Limited Warranty - Worldwide - Apple Store (Canada). It's fairly simple to reinstall but hopefully not necessary. I would advise you to create another account and use that or when you are leaving your computer, set it to the secondary account.

As for how to see what's starting at startup, others got to that first..

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
oops just saw you are in India.. sorry. You should be able to search for that or like I said, the warranty should have shipped with your computer or is in your files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Guys, you can just right click the Dock icons and select Open at Login, which probably has a check mark by it. Doing that will remove the check mark.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1
yes....i tried going into login items from system preferneces but there are no items in that only apptrap is there....i am going to reinstall it....thanks.

C

chas_m

Reinstalling isn't necessary. toMACsh had it right; simply right-click the programs on the dock that have started up on bootup, and look to see if "open at login" is checked. If it is, select it again. Now the program won't start at bootup.

Also, why are you booting up your computer so often? That's not necessary. Just put it to sleep.

Reaction score
Those jumping icons are as revolting as the dancing paperclip in some earlier versions of Office. Or the dog, which fortunately you could shoot for good and all. Apple droped the ball with that detail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.