• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple hit with class-action suit over iPhone in-app game currency purchases

Reaction score
Apple hit with class-action suit over iPhone in-app game currency purchases

A new class-action lawsuit takes issue with free iPhone games that feature in-app purchases, alleging that Apple's App Store makes it easy for children to rack up credit card charges without realizing they are spending real-world money.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif

Read more

Reaction score
People who launch those lawsuits should have the following words tattooed on their foreheads: "I'm too stupid to monitor my children, so I'm blaming someone else for their mistakes"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Gotta be a real stupid parent for buying your child an IPHONE when they don't know they are buying apps off of it. Real stupid imo. There is also no need for phone to be linked to a credit card. I have credit/debit cards and I still don't have a credit card linked to the account...who knows what might happen if someone steals it. Also, I've seen a lot of games that sell a certain virtual thing(money/weapons/etc) and it always says to buy it with actual currency. Man, people seem to have lost the ability to themselves responsible now-a-days. Also...again...if this is a real problem, then there should be MANY more companies involved in the lawsuit, not just to get their money back, and shouldn't point the finger at apple when these kind of purchases have been available in-game for a LONG time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
People who launch those lawsuits should have the following words tattooed on their foreheads: "I'm too stupid to monitor my children, so I'm blaming someone else for their mistakes"

Exactly. That's the problem with our society today. It's never the parent's fault.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2Ghz i7 4GB
I tend to agree, but there is that "ease of purchase" on many phones and devices.
Too easy.

Slightly off topic...
I can't speak for the iphone, but I would bet every penny MANY smart phones and similar devices "accidentally" navigate themselves to "specific" areas. I once had Verizon chocolate touch, I also had limited GB's of web use (with an additional charge for overages) Wouldn't you know it, with the screen lock in place in my pocket I can't tell you how many times I found it surfing the web. I had so many overages I finally migrated to AT&T over this issue. Come to find out my girl's friend had EXACT same issue, same phone. (and yes, we knew about the optional limitations and contingencies)

If they can "sneak" a few MB's of overages from thousands of people, that can translate to $millions$.
Don't tell me these devices/programs/interfaces aren't designed to automatically lead to certain areas, generally ones that cost.

Its shady manipulative business tactics.

Sure people should monitor/teach/ and inevitably be held accountable for all that happens under their roof. But anytime credit/debit transactions take place, passwords need be instituted, period. No "15 minute window" or pass through.

Reaction score
Why take responsibility when it easier to blame someone else? That's today's mentality, sad to say.

Reaction score
They have to do something on this problem to prevent children from getting their parents credit card racked up. Also, parents should monitor what their kids purchase. :Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.