Best of Both Worlds?

Reaction score
Hey all

Just wondering if there was a way in which i could have the best of both worlds, so i can keep playing my games (which only work on windows) and have the supreme operating system at my leisure?

Is this do-able on one system (VMWare doesn't count) or am i better off with two systems?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Use Boot Camp and install Windows alongside OS X. Boot into Windows when you want to play games, boot into OS X when you don't..

Regards

OP
Messahup
Reaction score
Use Boot Camp and install Windows alongside OS X. Boot into Windows when you want to play games, boot into OS X when you don't..

Regards

ohyeah bootcamp

Is it possible to build your own mac like you can PC?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
ohyeah bootcamp

No..you have to buy a Mac..and a copy of Windows you wish to run on there..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Hey all

Just wondering if there was a way in which i could have the best of both worlds, so i can keep playing my games (which only work on windows) and have the supreme operating system at my leisure?

Is this do-able on one system (VMWare doesn't count) or am i better off with two systems?

ohyeah bootcamp

Both of your questions have been discussed/answered very recently. Please try using the Search function of the forums before posting. Thank you! :)

For how to install Windows via Boot Camp, have a look here Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac - Mac-Forums.com
The first two Sticky threads should cover everything you need to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I Bootcamped Win7 as I needed apps for work not available on the MAC, in addition I have close to $2K in PC based games I like to play. So for the cost of a full version of Win7 I now have the best of both worlds and I get to work from home on weather or sick days - that alone could save me the cost of the MAC in a single year.

And if your like the vast majority of folks you still use a PC at work so divorcing yourself from a Win based platform is foolish IMHO.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1
seriously dont do it....

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
ohyeah bootcamp

not legally. installing OSX on a X86 machine (That isn't a Mac) breaks the EULA agreement.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
not legally. installing OSX on a X86 machine (That isn't a Mac) breaks the EULA agreement.

There's a little more to it than that. First off, you have to break the protection mechanisms that keep OS X from being installed on non-Apple hardware (this is illegal under the US DMCA). Secondly, you need to buy hardware that precisely matches that used in a Mac, otherwise you'll have driver issues. And even if you do happen to accomplish this, you still won't get the same kind of stability or integration that is what makes OS X a pleasure to use.

And of course, we don't discuss illegal activity on this forum, so let's not continue to discuss this here, lest we need to lock the thread.

Thanks!

Reaction score
You can use bootcamp. Many guides for setting this up can be found on youtube or by doing a quick google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
(VMWare doesn't count)

Why not? Unless the games you are looking to play aren't supported or work poorly under VMWare....

OP
Messahup
Reaction score
Why not? Unless the games you are looking to play aren't supported or work poorly under VMWare....

Well, an OS running inside of an OS, i just would've thought wouldn't give you optimal performance, but until i try it, i can't comment.

seriously dont do it....

Just stick to windows ay?

Wow, so closed, i love open sourced . . .might stick with windows

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
There's a little more to it than that. First off, you have to break the protection mechanisms that keep OS X from being installed on non-Apple hardware (this is illegal under the US DMCA). Secondly, you need to buy hardware that precisely matches that used in a Mac, otherwise you'll have driver issues. And even if you do happen to accomplish this, you still won't get the same kind of stability or integration that is what makes OS X a pleasure to use.

And of course, we don't discuss illegal activity on this forum, so let's not continue to discuss this here, lest we need to lock the thread.

Thanks!

lol, basically it's a PITA, and dont do it! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

And Windows is open source ? WOW i am behind the times then.... How do you come up with that conclusion.

If you you need Windows to game on then i think it best you have a dedicated machine.

Cheers

OP
Messahup
Reaction score
And Windows is open source ? WOW i am behind the times then.... How do you come up with that conclusion.

If you you need Windows to game on then i think it best you have a dedicated machine.

Cheers

well there are no restrictions on the hardware you use, which is more open than os x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
With OS X, or I should say Apple, you are buying a complete package capable of providing the most stable OS due to OS and Hardware compatibility.

Case and point, Windows instability.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, an OS running inside of an OS, i just would've thought wouldn't give you optimal performance, but until i try it, i can't comment.

It's not optimal to run anything that requires heavy 3D acceleration in a VM. However, most apps will run at native speeds in a good VM.

Just stick to windows ay?

If gaming is your thing, then yes, that would be my recommendation.

Windows is completely closed - not a speck of it is open source. If you love open source as you say, you need to be running Linux. While some of the underpinnings of OS X are open-source, Apple restricts the platform to Apple hardware in order to maintain tighter integration between hardware and software. The end result is a much more slick experience for the user.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well there are no restrictions on the hardware you use, which is more open than os x

No doubt about it, if you want complete freedom with your hardware, the Mac is not for you. Personally, I maintain a Windows gaming box, and a Mac laptop for everything else. That truly is the best of "both worlds".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's not optimal to run anything that requires heavy 3D acceleration in a VM. However, most apps will run at native speeds in a good VM.

Agreed. While I don't have a lot of experience with VM yet I will over the next few months. What I am running so far works well with XP SP3 and some older games but I have yet to try anything "state of the art" as it were.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.