Clean Desktop Please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
I wanted to know if there is a way to have a few of these items that are on my desktop gone.

I have my dock on the right, which I am capable of managing thus far, but I want to get rid of my 'External Drive' icon that currently resides on my desktop. I find myself typing and therefore changing the name of the icon at certain times (like when i click off the Safari screen and think I'm in the URL entry bar).

I try dragging it to the doc hoping that is where it will live (as far as looking at), but every time I do that it just jumps back out to where it was on my desktop.

I have also tried right-click/control-click and it just gives me.. open, back up, eject, burn, get info, make alias, show view options.. and a couple more. I am pretty sure none of those is what I'm looking for.

Also I just downloaded Steam and it seems to be doing the same thing.

Is there anyway I can put it on my doc, or somewhere else? I would be fine with just being able to find these items in the 'Finder'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Ok, firstly, go to finder in the menu bar and click it, select preferences, general and uncheck what you want there.
As for steam, you need to move it to your applications folder, and then you can put it in the dock if you want it there too :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
I feel stupid, I ejected Steam and that resolved it's issue.

I should add this question/comment.

The 'External Drive' mentioned above is where my TM is saving my backups. If I eject that drive, it will therefore not be able to back up to it, correct?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Holy cow that was easy. haha. Thanks 6string

+1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Pleasure.... we all feel stupid when we don't know and when we work out how simple it is.
I highly recommend Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics
Go to the left column under the video, and run through all the video tutorials.
They are highly informative, and really easy to follow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you need to ask that Andrew you are too young to be here lol!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
... or is simply not into Johnny Cash music.
Maybe he has not Walked the Line on A Wide Open Road,nor has he met Rock and Roll Ruby.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... or is simply not into Johnny Cash music.
Maybe he has not Walked the Line on A Wide Open Road,nor has he met Rock and Roll Ruby.

That would have to be, not yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Also, Camouflage is a great app to keep your desktop clean, or tricking your brain that it is clean :)

Here is the download link: Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - Camouflage

What this app does is hides everything on your desktop. You set up hot keys to hide, and to reveal your desktop.

- Kyle

Reaction score
Ah, so Mr Cash is a musician. Thank you all. It is amazing how much there is to learn.

As for my age; well, I don't quite remember Johann Sebastian Bach, but was he not, in the modern vernacular, the greatest? I did hear of a fellow called Beethoven who was said to be of some merit, but i learnt that he was deaf; did you ever hear anything so absurd? They'll be letting women vote next!

[Be warned, friends, when the mood strikes me I can bang on like this ad nauseam and I do!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.