• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Oh WOWZA! Twilight Zone… on Blu-Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Weren't most of those old Twilight Zone TV shows in B&W? What would make them look any better on BR? I guess if you're a Rod Serling fan and want the entire collection.....

The SciFi channel on cable used to air the old TWZ shows but lately I haven't seen them advertised.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Weren't most of those old Twilight Zone TV shows in B&W? What would make them look any better on BR? I guess if you're a Rod Serling fan and want the entire collection…..

They most certainly will look more detailed if remastered from the source footage (and they were). Lack of color doesn't equate to lack of detail. Lemme dig up a YouTube video someone made showing some examples of SD vs HD, which included some B&W.

Well I'm having trouble locating that clip, but here's something worth reading:
Blu-ray Myths: Old Movies Do Not Benefit from HD - Film Junk

The SciFi channel on cable used to air the old TWZ shows but lately I haven't seen them advertised.

Probably pre-empted for wrestling matches. *mumble grumble*

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not bad at all. Sort of like what iPhoto can do for the lousy photos I take. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Do de do do, do de do do...

Remastering is amazing, you should see what an amazing job they did with Seven Samurai on Blu Ray.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do de do do, do de do do...

Remastering is amazing, you should see what an amazing job they did with Seven Samurai on Blu Ray.

Yep, and although these are in color, the original Star Trek series, How the West Was Won (particularly great job on this one)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The question is:

Film shot digitally. There's no physical film to scan at some stupidly high resolution. How are you gonna Blu-ray that? Do they leave it at the 1080 for Blu-ray and just downscale to 720 for the SD dvds?

Cause from what I read if the old physical film is very clean and scratch free you can scan it in at much better then HD (1080). But the digital footage is mostly shot at 1080 or 4x. 4x is from the number of columns across. And 1080 is like almost 2x. If I read it right. I'm not 100% sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The question is:

Film shot digitally. There's no physical film to scan at some stupidly high resolution. How are you gonna Blu-ray that? Do they leave it at the 1080 for Blu-ray and just downscale to 720 for the SD dvds?

Usually they have to do that because of the physical limitations of the medium not to mention the difference in the BR and DVD specs.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not bad at all. Sort of like what iPhoto can do for the lousy photos I take. :)

Not really. In your example, iPhoto is manipulating something that started as lousy, but you ultimately can't add real detail that never existed. The raw footage for video generally has a level of detail FAR in excess of what you end up seeing. Even HD resolution of 1920x1080 is LESS detail than what you can potentially pull off of film. Broadcast television, DVDs, and yes, even Blu-Rays, have always been a compromise on what the media, transmission systems, etc can handle. Thanks to restoration efforts and releases on Blu-Ray of old movies, we are actually just now seeing how good these really looked in the theater back in the day. With regards to TV shows, you never saw how good they could look because of TV's limitations.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The question is:

Cause from what I read if the old physical film is very clean and scratch free you can scan it in at much better then HD (1080). But the digital footage is mostly shot at 1080 or 4x. 4x is from the number of columns across. And 1080 is like almost 2x. If I read it right. I'm not 100% sure.

SD resolution is 480p. 720p is a "lesser" HD resolution than 1080p, but in some situations 720p is indistinguishable from 1080p (more on that in a moment). In one of the articles I posted, they indicate that most digital footage today isn't shot in 1080p, but much higher. There are exceptions, like Star Wars: Phantom Menace. It was shot at 1080p and that's as good as it will ever get. That actually explains finally why it looked so grainy in the theater. No loss… what an awful movie.

But anywho… 1080p realistically is as good as you need for most home viewing scenarios. The level of detail that the human eye can resolve is dependent on the screen size and viewing distance. Every chart I've read says that for under 50" at a typical distance of 8 feet, you cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. You simply can't resolve the additional detail. To appreciate resolutions higher than 1080p, you'd have to be sitting REALLLY close, or have a HUGE screen (probably 70" or greater). And the latter is why movies need to continue to be shot in resolutions higher than 1080p because those movie screens are quite huge.

If you apply what we know about pixel densities and the Retina Display, this should make more sense.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.