I need some help with wifi repeater

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage
Heres the set up. I have an Airport Extreme broadcasting throughout the house. Downstairs i have a mac mini that the internet runs kinda slow on. I have an old Dlink DL-524 that I'm trying to setup as a "repeater" or range extender. I can't really find any good setup tuts for this. Any help would be awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Not sure about the DLink, but you could get an Airport Express plug it in any socket near your mini and set it up to extend your current network. This will strengthen the signal in your downstairs area.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I can't point you to a tutorial - but there are a few threads on this topic around here. The short version of the fundamentals go something like this:
  • Run wired Ethernet between the two routers ( or use something like a Powerline device)
  • Set the router intended to provide the range extension up to operate as an Access Point (or bridge mode) - this primarily involves ensuring DHCP is turned off
  • Use the same SSID and WPA2 passphrase on the range extender

Those are the basics - but there a lot of little gotchas - that may take a little trial and error. A few of them include:

• Turning NAT off on the AP - you already have AP from your DHCP router
  • Consider assigning a static IP address to the AP - this will require you to adjust the DHCP range of your DHCP router to ensure the static IP address doesn't fall within that range

I'm sure there are a few others - but I've been sipping Scotch for the last hour ;) Don't forget - you'll want to set up your AP with a direct wired connection from your computer - before introducing it into your network.

Give this a shot - and post back with any questions and we'll try to help you iron out any remaining issues. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A simpler solution might be to check the placement of your AEBS, which should offer plenty of range to cover a 3000+ square feet, 2 story home with a basement. If you're having range issues, you've probably got the router placed badly.

It should be central to your home, and in an upper story (the higher, the better). You also want to get it away from other sources of RF, like cordless phone bases, baby monitors, and most importantly, Microwave ovens.

I only mention this as I've seen a lot of people struggle with trying to implement a repeater, only to find themselves frustrated. In many cases, the real cause of their problem is that they've got the router placed poorly (many people tend to keep it near the modem - which is not usually necessary).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.