• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPad Sales are Dragging Down PC Market

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'll just quote the entire article here. The MF bot does. And people here don't like news links without quoted excerpts or in full.

Apple’s iPad and the tablet revolution are beating at the gates of the traditional PC sector, biting into the category and bringing uncertainty about the future of the industry.

The worldwide PC market suffered a 1.1% decline, with 84.3 million units sold in the first quarter of this year, according to technology research firm Gartner. Forecasts had called for 3% growth in PC shipments worldwide for the quarter.
Gartner analyst Mikako Kitagawa blamed the slowdown in PC shipments on “the hype around tablets.”
Gartner’s report underscores the change in consumer buying trends that’s underway as people around the world turn to tablets for mobile Internet consumption. The data also mark the first year-over-year worldwide PC decline in six quarters. The story for PCs in the United States was even more grim: a 6.1% decline from a year ago.

The quarter following the Christmas buying season is traditionally slow for PC sales. But the holiday hangover this year was especially hard for the likes of Hewlett-Packard, Acer and Dell, whose shipments declined 3.4%, 12.2% and 2.2%, respectively.
Acer was hardest hit because its netbook segment was affected the most by the tablet market’s rise.

Across the U.S., PC makers logged huge declines, with the exception of Toshiba and Apple. The Mac maker was the biggest winner, bagging 18.9% gains and 9.3% of the market. Toshiba tacked on 10.9% growth, to bump up to 10.4% of the U.S. market.

Gartner’s report found that the launch of the iPad 2 had more consumers either buying an alternative device to a personal computer or simply holding back from buying a PC altogether. “The tablet and consumer electronics devices’ effect on PCs will depend on how the tablet market and smartphone continues to evolve going forward,” Kitagawa said. “There are a lot of uncertainties in the market.”
Gartner forecasts Apple will ship nearly 48 million iPads worldwide this year.

And everyone keeps calling the ipad not a computer. This article does it. But the ipad is a computer. Just a tablet computer. And the tablet is more "personal" then a desktop is. I know they want to differentiate tablets from the rest. But to me they are all one and the same. Computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I am trying it myself. I got a folding keyboard and stand - and am going to try to go without the laptop for a bit. I bought the video adapter so I can do presentations from the iPad as well. It won't replace the laptop - but I'll be reaching for the iPad until there is something I cannot do with it.

I also have team viewer running so I can get back to my laptop from my iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
The Ipad2 is nice but will not take the place of my laptop or imac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I bought the video adapter so I can do presentations from the iPad as well.

@Ivan:

As a favor, let me know how well the presentations go with your iPad. We do a lot of presentations from either a PC notebook or MacBook. Would also like to leave them at home, but am a bit hesitant about substituting an iPad instead.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Will do chscag - I have a feeling some of my spiffy animations won't work but I have both docs to go and keynote. I'll let you know how it goes. I did pick up a 10 ft hdmi cable and a hdmi to dvi adapter from mono price. I think the total was $10 for both. Not sure how it is going to go with older projectors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.