moving multiple files or folders at once

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OS Leopard
Hi,
How do I move several files or folders in one go?
In Windows I'd click on first one, then shift + click on last one then drag them all together. This doesn't work in Mac.
Running Mac OSX Leopard on 13" Macbook.

Cheers LL :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It works, just different keys to do the job. If you simply want to copy, you can double tap on the trackpad, then drag the cursor over which ever files/folders you want. Then double tap and don't let go, while dragging.

If you want to move, and not copy, just hold down the CMD/Apple key. This is basically the equivalent to cutting rather than just copying.

Other methods: Hold down CMD to selectively choose files/folders in icon view. In list view, if you hold down Shift, you can select something, use the up/down arrow and it will then highlight each subsequent file/folder above or below it. From there, just double tap-drag and drop.

Quite easy and effective .

Doug

Edit: Make sure you have spring loaded folders enabled so that you don't necessarily have to have more than one Finder window open at the same time. This option is found in the Finder menu preferences.. general tab on the bottom. I set the delay to the shortest length.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is this within Finder or on the desktop?

The way that you described how to select multiple files works the same way in the Finder on a Mac.

For the desktop if you hold down select and click on each file it will select multiple files.

That's one way but not the most efficient way. Click and drag a square around the files and that will select whatever is in the square and you can move them where ever you want.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OS Leopard
Nope, couldn't get that to work, but I can now do it in Documents/Home folder. I was able to skype someone and he talked me through it. Many thanks for your replies though!

LL

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Hi,
How do I move several files or folders in one go?
In Windows I'd click on first one, then shift + click on last one then drag them all together. This doesn't work in Mac.
Running Mac OSX Leopard on 13" Macbook.

Cheers LL :)

this also works exactly the same on a Mac, but you need to be on List view in Finder.

Reaction score
I hold down the apple/command key to select multiple files, then move them as needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1
just select using the rght click + key above function and select and move to folder .....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.