Best "server" for Apple TV

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to Mac and have been a die hard PC user. I am now coming round to the idea of change and have decided to start that change at home.

The catalyst has been the purchase of 3 Apple TV units for domestic use.

The problem I have is the total lack of any desktop to use as the host for the video and audio I want to stream.

I would like to know what I should get to run iTunes? I have looked at the current line up of Macs and was surprised that it was either small format, single unit or rather pricey MacPro. I hadn't anticipated the entry price of a MacPro to be GBP2,000 or USD $3,000

I can spend that much if I have to but wondered whether I should look at the Mini or the all-in-one unit.

I want to host all the kids DVDs and my audio library. I can imagine that this would eventually run to 1TB but not beyond in the next 3 years.

Also - any benefit to getting the Apple WiFi kit? and is there one that works as a broadband (ADSL) modem (for the UK) as well as a wireless access point.

Any advice appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My question would be what do you have that you're running iTunes from now?

OP
Y
Reaction score
I currently only have iTunes on a laptop that is used for work.

I'd like to think that I could get 5 years+ out of what ever I buy and it is likely to be left permanently switched on.... Given it would be performing like a server.

Does that help?

Reaction score
I've got over 2TB of DVDs and TV shows. My external hard drive (plugged into my airport extreme) is too full for comfort now, got another one on order. These aren't compressed at all but my advice is to plan for more storage, it goes quick.

Also I don't stream iTunes music through my ATVs, my surround sound has a docking station that I put my iPod in.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Snow Leopard Server is not the OS you want just for streaming iTunes.

For someone only wanting to stream to the ATV, doesn't even own a personal computer at the moment, think I'd recommend something like this Dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you are strictly looking to serve up files, I'd take bobtomay's advice. If you want to go whole-hog and get a new desktop system for use as a desktop computer as well, I whole-heartedly recommend the iMac. I use a mid-2010 iMac i3 myself for serving up media, which is stored on an external drive, and it is a GREAT computer overall. I absolutely love this thing, and I say this as a former Windows user who used to build my own systems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.