No more procrastinating

Reaction score
I decided it was time to say goodbye to PCs. For years I have been a fan of them, but no longer. There really isn't a reason for me to stay. I do not play games on computers and even if I wanted I can dual boot. Pretty much every reason I stayed PC can now be done on a Mac.

Viruses didn't really play into it as I have not had one in the last 5 computers I owned. Then again I do not go places you typically get them. I am however tired of the windows OS and its inherent problems. My last windows laptop lasted only 2 years. It came with so much junk software it took me several hours to trim it to where I wanted it.

I bought a new Macbook pro and I can't wait for it to get here. I am not entirely unfamiliar with the Mac OS but it will be a learning experience for me. Goodbye M$ forever.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Never say never - but Congrats on the new purchase :) Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]
Congrats, you'll definitely enjoy. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Never say never

Although the saying existed long before Justin Beiber, every time I hear it, I think of him.

Congrats on the purchase! All of your future questions, should you have any, will most likely be able to find an answer here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Almost my story. I need Bootcamp for Solidworks. Other than that I agree with you. PCs for a long time, not viruses, but I was sick of Windows and all of the maintenance that goes with it.

I've had my MBP for a little over a week. Absolutely no regrets! THE build quality is GREAT!

Many questions of mine were answered in the forum. Everyone is very helpful

Good LUck with your new toy!

Monty

I decided it was time to say goodbye to PCs. For years I have been a fan of them, but no longer. There really isn't a reason for me to stay. I do not play games on computers and even if I wanted I can dual boot. Pretty much every reason I stayed PC can now be done on a Mac.

Viruses didn't really play into it as I have not had one in the last 5 computers I owned. Then again I do not go places you typically get them. I am however tired of the windows OS and its inherent problems. My last windows laptop lasted only 2 years. It came with so much junk software it took me several hours to trim it to where I wanted it.

I bought a new Macbook pro and I can't wait for it to get here. I am not entirely unfamiliar with the Mac OS but it will be a learning experience for me. Goodbye M$ forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
Same here the only computer I ever owned was a PC and just began to get really frustrated with all the up keep updates, ect to keep it running and clean. As you stated I never worried about viruses due to staying away from things I should not do anyway, I purchased an iMac 21.5" two weeks ago, it has been a learning experience but I am having fun doing it and I can honestly say I love my Mac!:)

C

chas_m

Spiderpig, Spiderpig, does whatever a Spiderpig does ...

While you wait, here's some reading for you:

Switch 101 and Mac 101 and the essay in my signature.

Congrats and enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
My story was a little less interesting. I've been using a PC for about 11 years, had an Amiga prior to that. I enjoy listening to the fine audio podcasts on TWiT on my iPod Classic at work. Paul Thurrott has been saying for some time that all Windows users still running XP need to upgrade as XP is getting a bit stale (at least this was my impression of his statements on the subject) and I figured if I needed to upgrade why not try an Apple. I bought a 13" Macbook Pro and gave my pc laptop to my wife. She hated it and took my new Macbook. I gave up and bought myself another Macbook Pro. Never been happier. Even bought myself a new iPod Touch. I still use the Classic for music, audiobooks and podcasts however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
<snip> I enjoy listening to the fine audio podcasts on TWiT on my iPod Classic at work. <snip>

Aren't those the BEST? I am always listening to one of the TWIT podcasts.

My favorites:
TWIG
TWIT
Windows Weekly
Security Now
and what is that other one.... Oh ya MacBreak Weekly:)

Have you noticed that just about everyone at TWIG uses Macs?

C

chas_m

Paul Thurrott is a paid hack and his opinions are next to worthless.

However, I am very pleased that he "drove" you to buying a Mac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Paul Thurrott is a paid hack and his opinions are next to worthless.

However, I am very pleased that he "drove" you to buying a Mac. :)

Ouch! I like Paul.

C

chas_m

This is the same Paul Thurrott who said the iPad 2 was "tepid" and that the original iPad was nothing special. This guy has a VERY VERY long record (so long, in fact, that I was going to post a list but realised that I just don't have time today to document even a portion of it -- it's that lengthy!) of unfairly bashing Apple, ignoring facts and consistently telling people MS stuff is better on ANY occasion where he compares the two. Just do a search on ANY of his iPad columns to see how far out of touch with reality he is.

He is, and I'm being totally serious here with no exaggeration whatsoever, a paid Microsoft shill. The worst sort of tech journalist: one who is completely blinded by his (bought and paid for) prejudices. He might be entertaining in person, but that doesn't make his opinion worthwhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He is defiantly a Microsoft fanboy. I do enjoy the relationship he and Loe have. Keep in mind that I have been a Windows users two weeks ago :)

I like to hear his perspective as I liked listening to MacBreak Weekly LONG before I every imagined I own a Mac.

I am not trying to argue with you. You are correct about Paul. But I still like the show...

This is the same Paul Thurrott who said the iPad 2 was "tepid" and that the original iPad was nothing special. This guy has a VERY VERY long record (so long, in fact, that I was going to post a list but realised that I just don't have time today to document even a portion of it -- it's that lengthy!) of unfairly bashing Apple, ignoring facts and consistently telling people MS stuff is better on ANY occasion where he compares the two. Just do a search on ANY of his iPad columns to see how far out of touch with reality he is.

He is, and I'm being totally serious here with no exaggeration whatsoever, a paid Microsoft shill. The worst sort of tech journalist: one who is completely blinded by his (bought and paid for) prejudices. He might be entertaining in person, but that doesn't make his opinion worthwhile.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have never listened to that show. But as a former open minded M$ fanboy I used to enjoy debating the pro and con of Mac vs PC. You could always tell who knew nothing and people who had a sense that both have their obvious advantages. To me, for my uses that has fallen to the mac. The advantage overall that is.

I really believe that in 10 years mac could easily take over as the standard. My only complaint is the possibility of having to re-buy alot of different software. If I don't like the free versions that is.

C

chas_m

MontyMo: Just to be clear, I agree with you completely. TWIT, TWIG and Security Now (along with MacBreak Weekly) are very good shows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Mac is already becoming the standard; it's definitely setting the bar for quality. I was a Windows user since 2.x and you'll see a ton of these switcher stories if you scroll this section of the forum :D Welcome to the club!

OP
S
Reaction score
I got my first computer in 1985. It was a commodore 64 with a huge 32k of ram! That was followed by a commodore 128D and an Amiga 500. Then came my first windows 2.x machine. It was super sweet compared to what I had in the past.

I never had a windows 95 machine. I skipped that generation and hopped on on that train with windows 98SE followed by windows ME ( for 2 days ) until I stripped it from that new laptop. Basically every OS up through Vista as I did not want to buy 7 knowing I was likely to make the switch.

Out of all my machines prior to windows ME they were all reliable. Even XP was fairly ok after SP1. But after that windows just... well you know. It has the same problem as the high held android OS which also in my experience is flooded with problems. It is an OS made for countless devices. Nothing but problems. I sold that phone and went back to my Iphone as soon as the Iphone 4 came out.

Reaction score
I was talked into going Mac by my son, and he works for Microsoft!

He has been proved right. Delighted with the change.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.