protools/macbook help please!

Reaction score
Hello, I need some help involving my laptop and protocols.

I recently purchased a bunch of gear to do some of my own recording through my laptop. I have a digi 003 running into a soundcraft 12 channel board. I run it through protocols 7 LE on my laptop (apple mac book). I’ve only really done very minimal recording through it, mostly directly into the digi and some micing just to check out some microphones I bought. Last night I tried to record a drum set. Put an sm57 on my rack and floor tom, a beta 52 on the kick and two m81 Cascades as overheads (which require phantom power from the board). I got maybe 30 seconds in until the recording stopped and a window popped up on my screen telling me something about how the computer was not reading the digi fast enough. I guess I should have written down what it said to give better insight into this problem but I was too frustrated and out of time to pay much attention. Can someone help me? Do I not have enough memory on my computer? Or is this set up I have completely stupid? I know people record full records through protocols into their laptops every day. Why can’t I?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
are you sure it wasnt a CPU overload? this is usually what kills PT sessions mid record. what are your macs specs?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.