Weird text editors behaviour

Reaction score
Hi all !

OK, I must admit it, I've been using a MacBook for only a year now so I'm still a newbie.

But, I have this strange behaviour on my Mac : whenever (at least 90% of the time) I open a text file, I only see like 20 lines even though the file is 2000 lines long.

I've tried TextMate, BBEdit, JEdit and Dashcode with mainly PHP and CSS files.

My MacBook is on Snow Leopard 10.6.7.

Has this ever happened to someone ?

Alex

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you saying that you can't scroll the file down and see the remaining lines of text? And that it's only displaying 20 lines at a time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Are you sure that the files are really 2000 lines long, and it's not just your other editor wrapping long lines?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]
I wouldn't know much about this, but perhaps the text editor is turning your 2000 or so lines into only about twenty? My Windows PC used to do that from time to time for whatever reason, but I don't know if a Mac would do this. Have you tried side-scrolling when the text file is open?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.