External Monitor Not Sharp

Reaction score
I recently made the switch from PC to a Macbook Pro. My issue is the external monitor resolution. The monitor is a HP w2207h (native 1680 x 1050) which is really crisp when connected to (several different) PC's. However, things get fuzzy on the Macbook. The resolution on the Mac is at 1680 x 1050 but does not look good compared to PC. I've tried everything short of an Apple Cinema. I've done VGA to DVI, HDMI to DVI, installed SwitchResX, tweaked & tweaked &... I've searched for an answer online & at an Apple store and still nothing. The Apple store tried to tell me it's the monitor but I'm not buying that since it's fine with the PC's.
Any ideas?

C

chas_m

Does this model support DVI? From your description it sounds like it does, so why all the adapters? You (probably) have the miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter, so just use that.

It could also be that you're not used to good fonts (the PC doesn't use any for system fonts) and thus are being thrown off by the anti-aliasing. You can adjust this in the system preferences under Appearance:

(yours may vary slightly, adjust as needed)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Probably should have had a read of this before spending a bunch of time trying to fix something that can't be fixed.

The area chas is showing you there, I used font size 12 and smaller for well over a year.

At the 22" size, a resolution of even 1920x1080 instead of 1680x1050 would likely help.
Because OS X is still catering font rendering to the dead (or dying) print media, higher resolutions help tremendously. With a good quality, high resolution monitor, it is not such an issue. This is the primary reason I use Windows for attaching to a large screen TV and not an OS X box.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks chas_m... The connection is fine going from HDMI to DVI. I've done the adjustment you referred to. By the way I was able to hook up a brand new monitor & connect DVI to DVI with the same issue. That monitor had a higher native resolution too but could not get it to work either. Not used to good fonts, really? (LMAO)... that was funny.

I'm thinking along the lines of bobtomay's response: "trying to fix something that can't be fixed". When I connected the new monitor & tried the 1920 x 1080 I wasn't getting a full screen. Instead I had black space on the sides. I've tried to plug 1920 x 1080 in my custom resolution but it will not stick nor show on my HP.

From my research this seem to be an on going issue that never gets a straight answer just PC bashing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It may also be a limitation of the video card drivers as well. We have run into that here where I work and it came down to replacing the card or settling with the issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, one can not replace the video card in a MacBook Pro. And you're pretty much stuck with the Apple supplied drivers. It does come down to what bobtomay stated, you can't fix the unfixable.

That's why buying a monitor from a local supplier that accepts returns is so important. If that display doesn't look good with your MBP, take it back.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks all... I guess it's just get a Mac Cinema or live with it. Can't fix the unfix-able. Hopefully my eyes will adjust

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Believe me, there's nothing more miserable than using a monitor that's fuzzy or doesn't look right. The monitor is the most important part of any computer setup. You can have the most powerful and fastest computer that's available, but if you can't see the display clearly, it doesn't do you any good.

You don't have to buy an expensive Apple Cinema Display to have a good monitor. Just shop around and find one that works. Like I said above, buy it from a reseller who accepts returns.

OP
S
Reaction score
I believe you chscag: It is miserable indeed. As much as I'm liking the Mac for everything else, my eyes are suffering. I've considered selling the Macbook & sticking with my PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I'm no genius, but have you tried resetting the monitor profile also you could try to calibrate your monitor. I found that to help when I moved my monitor from my pc to my mini..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.