• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't View DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display
I had a 1 1/2 hr project. I used IMoive 5. I changed the settings to good On IDVD so that it let me put the movie on 1 DVD. I burned the DVD-R and it viewed OK on the computer but did not on my DVD Player on my TV. I was able to view other projects that I have done but they were never longer than 1hr. Any reason why I couldn't view it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Maybe it burned wrong because it was long. Does the DVD-R look like it has 1 1/2 hours woth of data on it?

S

sursuciofla

altyson said:
I had a 1 1/2 hr project. I used IMoive 5. I changed the settings to good On IDVD so that it let me put the movie on 1 DVD. I burned the DVD-R and it viewed OK on the computer but did not on my DVD Player on my TV. I was able to view other projects that I have done but they were never longer than 1hr. Any reason why I couldn't view it?

Did you use +R or -R? Plus-R discs don't work in some earlier model DVD players, Minus-R works is the most backwards compatible. So if it is an older model DVD player that may be the problem as well. I burned a 1hr 58min the other day so I highly doubt that the amount of movie on the dvd is your problem. I really have no clue why it doesn't work unless it is one of the problems I listed above. Maybe you should try it on someone elses dvd player.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sursuciofla said:
Did you use +R or -R? Plus-R discs don't work in some earlier model DVD players, Minus-R works is the most backwards compatible. So if it is an older model DVD player that may be the problem as well. I burned a 1hr 58min the other day so I highly doubt that the amount of movie on the dvd is your problem. I really have no clue why it doesn't work unless it is one of the problems I listed above. Maybe you should try it on someone elses dvd player.
I used -R disks and used 2 different brands one was Verbatim.
The DVD player is 1 1/2 yrs old. I had no other problems except length of movie. My next step is to burn a shorter movie and see if it works.

S

sursuciofla

altyson said:
I used -R disks and used 2 different brands one was Verbatim.
The DVD player is 1 1/2 yrs old. I had no other problems except length of movie. My next step is to burn a shorter movie and see if it works.

I guess what you could do isgo to a good place where you can split the movie into two parts and the go to:

Edit>Split Video Clip at Playhead

Then just burn two discs or you can use the same idea to just edit out more of the footage. I am interested in knowing why it won't work though. If anyone else may know what the problem is please post because it would help out a lot, not only to altyson but to me as well. I haven't run into that problem yet but I can't really say it never will.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DCraver said:
Maybe it burned wrong because it was long. Does the DVD-R look like it has 1 1/2 hours woth of data on it?

After seeing your reply I looked at the DVD and it doesn't look like it burned.
I am going to try a test to see if it is the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If it is not burning the entire movie, this could be a result of the complexity (not the length or size) of your iMovie project and the occurrence of buffer underrun errors when trying to burn an iDVD project.
To remedy this, you might want to split the movie into chapters and then burn to DVD.

There is also an update for iDVD that you might want to see if you need with concern to DVD+ and DVD-

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/idvd501update.html

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
If it is not burning the entire movie, this could be a result of the complexity (not the length or size) of your iMovie project and the occurrence of buffer underrun errors when trying to burn an iDVD project.
To remedy this, you might want to split the movie into chapters and then burn to DVD.

There is also an update for iDVD that you might want to see if you need with concern to DVD+ and DVD-

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/idvd501update.html
I do have IDVD 5.01. The latest I did was that I took the IDVD project, which I can play on the computer but not the standalone DVD player, and dragged into Toast 6. The problem is that it would not import the audio only the video. It said it wasn't a valid Jam License. The audio was just background music to old silent tapes taken in the 1960's. Anyway the movie burned in its entirety and I was able to play the movie in my standalone DVD player.
When I take the the previously burned DVD, burned with IDVD that includes the sound I can view it in DVD Player and it works fine but not in the standalone DVD player.
I was trying to fit this on to 1 DVD but it looks like for some unknown reason that I have to make it into 2 DVD's. Seems strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G-5 2Ghz 17" Wireless
Can't View DVD-R from my DVD Recorder

I have the opposite problem. I can view bought movies on my super drive but the iMac G-5 won't recognize my recorded movies. I was hoping to record my super 8 home movies on my DVD Recorder on DVD-R and then be able to edit them on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G-5 2Ghz 17" Wireless
Figured out how to play it

fishnrib said:
I have the opposite problem. I can view bought movies on my super drive but the iMac G-5 won't recognize my recorded movies. I was hoping to record my super 8 home movies on my DVD Recorder on DVD-R and then be able to edit them on the Mac.

After hitting the play button on the onscreen remote I hit enter and it started to play. Now if I can only figure out how to save DVD and convert it to something that can go to the web.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.