Image rotation destroys EXIF info -- help!

D

djmitch

The problems I'm having with image rotation did not occur before I switched to Mac, and nothing I've tried has helped, so now I need your help because I'm very frustrated!

Anyhow, whenever I rotate an image on my Mac using ANY image editing program (so that my photos taken in vertical orientation appear "upright"), my EXIF info for that image disappears. In addition, if I've rotated an image in one program it will still appear "sideways" when I view it in Finder or one of my other image editing programs.

The image editing programs I have in addition to Preview and iPhoto are Photoshop Elements 3 and Fuji FinePix Viewer (I have a Fuji S602Z camera). Actually, I haven't tried image rotation in iPhoto since I have a system of image folders and sub-folders that I can't get iPhoto to respect.

The only solution I've found is to create a sub-folder called "originals" into which I put a copy of the file I wish to rotate, so that I don't lose the EXIF info upon rotating the file in the main folder. However, this is a needless waste of disk space and frankly a real pain in the butt! Since I didn't lose this info on a Windows computer after rotating images I have this mindset that it shouldn't be happening on a Mac - perhaps I'm dreaming?

Any suggestions?

OP
T

Tel

Hate to suggest it to you, but iPhoto does a good job at keeping my EXIF info intact.

I used to have a complicated file structure too, but iPhoto does a much better job at keeping everything in order. Although I dislike the fact that it stores images in folders according to date, since using iPhoto, I have never needed to use the finder to find a picture.

OP
D

djmitch

So when you view your rotated images in Preview, Photoshop, etc. your images appear vertical after you've rotated them? I can't seem to get them to stop appearing "sideways" even after I've rotated them from horizontal to vertical orientation. GRRRR!!

OP
T

Tel

djmitch said:
So when you view your rotated images in Preview, Photoshop, etc. your images appear vertical after you've rotated them? I can't seem to get them to stop appearing "sideways" even after I've rotated them from horizontal to vertical orientation. GRRRR!!

I have often rotated an image in iPhoto and then opened it in Photoshop (just by dragging and dropping it) and it is always rotated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.