• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I would like to say thank you.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I am very appreciative of everything this forum has done for me.

I had terrible insomnia/depression for the last 12 months, and I feel as though interacting on this forum has really helped me to get through it. giving me something to do in the early hours has been a real god send, plus learning from you regular members is real a privilege.

it is really good to finally meet some people really interested in the same area I am, and to learn from you is a real plus.

So this is a thread dedicated to Mac-Forums and it's members, just to say thank you for helping me out so much.

In particular:

6string
chscag
the8thark
tattoedMac
Schweb
iWhat
Buzzard2010
Kevriano
BrianLachoreVPI
Clockwork World
Pigoo3
Doug_b
Razormac
vansmith
bobtomay
chas_m
baggggs
harry b
cwa107
CrimsonReqiuem
aptmunich
McYukon

there are many more I have forgotten to announce, but thank you.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I think people still underestimate just how powerful depression is and can be, and how it can really wreak havoc on other areas of your health. (Frankly you Brits are a little more evolved in recognizing this than we are over here). Thanks for putting me on your list :) Hopefully you're doing much better? If it helps - I hear you guys are finally due for some sunshine over there soon - that will help more than anything. ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Rob,
Glad you're doing better!

We are pulling for you, so hang in there.

Mike

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Awww I feel appreciated. Who knew a computer related forum could help with depression? ^-^"

We are rooting for you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm glad to hear that we could be of some help.

Hope everything works out for you!

(I only came 14th on the list! :p)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I feel all special, now!

Glad that we can make your day just a little bit better. We all have something that makes it a struggle from day to day. It's great to know that this community has a friendly environment that you can't really find in many online communities. Good to know we are on the right track. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If it helps - I hear you guys are finally due for some sunshine over there soon - that will help more than anything. ;)

Heya Rob,
I second that.... this is what made me move to QLD from Melbourne. The long winters, and not only the depression I suffered on and off with the way the cold weather effected me, but also seeing the many others being effected by the long winters got to me.
I miss the culture of Melbourne, but my inner health and well being means more to me, as it does to my family and friends.

If you want some good reading, I recommend "The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle."
Amazon.com: The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment (9781577311522): Eckhart Tolle: Books

Don't let the fluffy title fool you.
It really is a great read, that you can pick up and put down, read at your own pace, and get a lot out of.
It's too easy to get distracted, and lost with all the distraction, and not even recognise the simple pleasures around us.
...The sound of the breeze, the calmness of the dog sleeping next to you, the company of a good friend, the sound of the water coming down on you in the shower, and the list goes on.

I think that this book is a real gem to help us improve our ability to see all these things as they occur, and get distracted less by our hearts, minds, end external factors that flood us daily.

Dogs have a better ability than us at this.
They live in the now, and not in the past.
It seem as though they move forward into the future in doing things like following scents while walking, anticipating what is around the corner, they are still always living in the now.
As humans, we dwell on the past, worry about the future, and forget about the present time.

There is no quick fix, and we can't all dedicate ourselves to spiritual enlightenment like the Dalai Lama, but we can achieve a level of contentment with some very simple tools such as this book :)

Regards
Kane

Rob,
Glad you're doing better!

We are pulling for you, so hang in there.

Mike

After all my ramblings, yep, we are all pulling for you, and always happy to see you here :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Rob, it's been a pleasure interacting with you here as well. Glad to hear you're doing better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Our pleasure mate and by the way, you have also assisted a lot of folk here. Like life, you only get back what you put in. Got a dog by any chance? They are great companions who do not demand too much, only food, shelter, walks, play, grooming, vet bills etc etc!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Your welcome mate, and if I'd known, I could have helped even more. My wife suffers, and I helped another member here too (as did many of us).
Neve be afraid to PM me though, always glad to help out, and stick around.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot guys. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone (theres no order by the way! ;) )

Who knew a computer related forum could help with depression?

haha, it sounds absurd, but being awake/alone til 8am can really mess with you. Talking to people about stuff you like talking about, seems the obvious way to get away from it!

It's great to know that this community has a friendly environment that you can't really find in many online communities.

This is the best forum I have been a part of. the community is more "tight-knit" than most (I think a lot of people join "Mac-Rumours", but it just doesn't feel as friendly over there.)

They live in the now, and not in the past.
It seem as though they move forward into the future in doing things like following scents while walking, anticipating what is around the corner, they are still always living in the now.
As humans, we dwell on the past, worry about the future, and forget about the present time.

That is so very true 6string. We as humans should just move on with life, but we are held down by things that have happened. I will have to grab that book with my next pay check, as I am completely skint at the moment :D

Like life, you only get back what you put in. Got a dog by any chance?

spot on Harry. exactly the mentality most people should have in life, and its a shame some don't.

i don't have a dog as I am not allowed one in the house :( however I think I am more of a cat person anyway, haha.

I think people still underestimate just how powerful depression is and can be, and how it can really wreak havoc on other areas of your health.

My wife suffers, and I helped another member here too (as did many of us).
Neve be afraid to PM me though, always glad to help out, and stick around.

sad to hear she suffers too. It really is a crippling thing, and I cant believe how bad it was, I am a very "It wont happen to me" kind of person, and I couldn't believe the effect it had on my life, i couldn't go anywhere or eat anything. hit me like an Atom bomb. Its wierd to think that something that you can't see or physically feel could change your life so much.

In fact, I am sad to see that some of you guys have gone through it aswell, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I hear you guys are finally due for some sunshine over there soon - that will help more than anything.

oh yes! It has been shining down all week, and i am loving it. i have got my old job back (hard times getting a new one at the moment, I was incredibly lucky to get it again), so I am stuck inside most of the time, but I go for rides in my lunch break. It is beautiful.

Appreciate the kind words.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thank you for the special mention.
But yeah keeping yourself busy always helps keep your mind off things. And if these forums helped you in a way then I'm glad. I think the forum as a whole did good. It's not perfect but it's friendly enough and I to am glad to be here.

So yes I am glad you feel even a touch better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A cat person?

You enjoy being a personal slave to an animal Robby?

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A cat person?

You enjoy being a personal slave to an animal Robby?

Haha, no i just really wish i could share the experience of cat related issues with Macbook Pros...

Cats seem more reserved, and remind me of myself. I like dogs, but they are quite "in your face", if you know what I mean!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Glad to help when I can mate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.