I miss my Windows shortcuts, lol

M

Mr Jon

Im trying to assemble a list of shortcut keys in OSX that are similar to their Windows variants such as

Alt+Tab (OSX Does have something similar, but I can only tab between active programs and not ALL windows on a given screen. I want to be able to switch back and forth to any available window instead of having to click to it)

Control+Alt+Delete is (Apple + Alt + Esc I think)

Windows + M = Minimize All Windows (I can kind of imitate that effect with expose)

Any help to figuring those out would help me lots! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
But Mac OS X has Exposé which is soooooo much better than Alt Tab anyway! You can also do Cmd H to hide the current window or Opt-Cmd-H to hide all the windows but the current window. Can't do that on Windows and it's better than minimizing I think :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Mr Jon said:
Im trying to assemble a list of shortcut keys in OSX that are similar to their Windows variants
I am going to stop you right there... keep in mind, this is NOT Windows. You are going to have to let go of the Windows mentality. Otherwise, you are going to make OS X seem like it is much more difficult than it is.

Alt+Tab (OSX Does have something similar, but I can only tab between active programs and not ALL windows on a given screen. I want to be able to switch back and forth to any available window instead of having to click to it)
Well, this is the purpose of Expose. F9 will show you all windows, when you have all windows shown, then press tab to cycle through the Apps. Once you find the Application you want, then click the window you want, just press the space bar. You don't have to click on it, though it really isn't a big ordeal if you do feel like clicking ;)

Control+Alt+Delete is (Apple + Alt + Esc I think)
This one is really not needed at all, it was pretty much a necessity in Windows, I know, but remember you are not using Windows anymore.
Command + Option + Esc, will bring up the Force Quit box, which should only be used if an app is nt responding.

Windows + M = Minimize All Windows (I can kind of imitate that effect with expose)
You are correct, Expose will do this. F11 is the Show Desktop key by default. It will hide your windows, to give you access to items on the Desktop.

You biggest challenge here is one that many, many switchers have. You are not using a Windows machine anymore...stop trying to compare Mac OS X to Windows. You have to really forget a lot of what you already know, and focus on learing the new OS. Yes, there are some similarities, but if you keep trying to run OS X like it is Windows, you are going to go nowhere fast. These forums are a good reference, I would suggest taking the time to run a search through them, as you will find a plethora of handy tips, tricks and other information. You might also want to get a book like "OS X, the Missing Manual". Just remember, we are all here to help...just put your Windows thoughts behind you.
:black:

Reaction score
Alt + ~ will cycle you through the windows within an Application, thats a handy one you might need.

OP
M

Mr. MAC

If you love shortcuts i would reccomend download ikey, its free and has everything you could ever need to create your own shortcuts. including ghost mouse

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.