Must haves

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12GB of RAM, 27", dual core
Here at 2 am, i am wondering about my new imac, and what app essentials or programs i must have on my machine to optimize my experience? What are some must have things for the imac... tweaks whatever

C

chas_m

I still use widgets (very handy for US<->Metric conversions, currency, temp and calculator, I find) but for those who don't use the dashboard at all, yes you might want to disable it.

OP
NashvegasMatt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i see some pretty dedicated people who claim that it slows down their mac way too much... i mean i have 12gb of RAM, is that not enough firepower to multi-task a few dashboard items or is my machine going to be sweating it out trying to run?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
i see some pretty dedicated people who claim that it slows down their mac way too much... i mean i have 12gb of RAM, is that not enough firepower to multi-task a few dashboard iteams or is my machine going to be sweating it out trying to run?

You'll be just fine :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
i see some pretty dedicated people who claim that it slows down their mac way too much... i mean i have 12gb of RAM, is that not enough firepower to multi-task a few dashboard items or is my machine going to be sweating it out trying to run?

fair enough, but remember RAM isnt the only factor here. if you are running lots of little widgets and background process it is sucking up your CPU aswell. thats why alot of people turn it off, if it is useless to them its wasting CPU power that could be used for something else.

OP
NashvegasMatt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fair enough, but remember RAM isnt the only factor here. if you are running lots of little widgets and background process it is sucking up your CPU aswell. thats why alot of people turn it off, if it is useless to them its wasting CPU power that could be used for something else.

i see what you are saying

Reaction score
Default Folder X
Flash Frozen
Caffeine
Menubars

Those are some small applications that I use daily to keep everything running in tip top shape.

Reaction score
Caffeine
Resize.It

Not much for me because OS X handles everything pretty well right out of the gate.

As for Dashboard, I use a good many widgets and I can't tell any difference with it enabled or disabled. My little MBP 13" (2010 model) is stupid fast. I am still amazed every time I open Adobe Photoshop Elements and it loads so fast!

C

chas_m

I have to point out to the people who say "widgets use up resources" -- which is true -- that the same applies to menubar items. Thus, in my view, six of one half-dozen the other. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I was enamored with widgets when I first got my Mac - but find I didn't use them. They tend to be things that I would go to the web for - like flight tracking, conversion, calculators, etc. I'd remember them as an afterthought - so that is why I turned them off.

I agree - the menubar apps do take resources as well - but they are more front and center so I tend to use those things in the menubar quite a bit i.e. istats menu vs istats nano.

Reaction score
Just to mention soe things that I can't live without, Caffeine, MenuMeters, spaces (built in), Alfred (spotlight alternative that allows for easier file viewing; I use both spaces (for applications) and Alfred (for files and folders) simultaneously and I can find anything and have it open within a few seconds :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Get a good external drive and turn on Time Machine especially if you are going to have
a lot of music ,photos and home movies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.