Apple TV basics for an Apple newbie!

Reaction score
Hello all :)

After being bitten by the flexibility and all-round greatness of Apple kit, I'm looking at the Apple TV option in addition to my iPad and recently acquired MBA :)

So, I understand the basics of plug and play, watch movies from Apple etc. But what else can you do with other Apple products?

For example, at the moment my 2 year old loves to watch a selection of Disney movies on the iPad, is there a way of streaming this to the Apple TV? Or, would I need a NAS drive from which I could stream - is this even possible..? :)

Thanks all - just want to explore the options before dipping in :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello all :)

After being bitten by the flexibility and all-round greatness of Apple kit, I'm looking at the Apple TV option in addition to my iPad and recently acquired MBA :)

So, I understand the basics of plug and play, watch movies from Apple etc. But what else can you do with other Apple products?

For example, at the moment my 2 year old loves to watch a selection of Disney movies on the iPad, is there a way of streaming this to the Apple TV? Or, would I need a NAS drive from which I could stream - is this even possible..? :)

Thanks all - just want to explore the options before dipping in :)

The Apple TV 2 is a GREAT device, and I say this after having been a very unsatisfied user of the original Apple TV and a Mac mini in use as an HTPC. You can very easily stream movies off the iPad to the ATV2 using Apple's AirPlay feature. The videos do generally have to be compatible with both devices, although there are 3rd party apps for the iPad that will play a greater variety of video formats and will transcode them to something the ATV2 can understand on the fly. The performance in those cases may or may not be very good due to the extra processing demands though.
Hands on with AirPlay: iPad and Apple TV updates make a magic combination

What I do is keep all my videos in iTunes and set up a Home Share so the ATV2 can read my iTunes library. As long as iTunes is open on my Mac, I can play anything in it on the ATV2. You actually use the ATV2's menu to browse the contents in iTunes and launch from there. There's also a Remote app for the iPad that will let you control the ATV2 and browse your media.

Like I was saying... this is my 3rd go at an HTPC setup, and by far it's been the best. Apple's streaming tech is simply much smoother than anything else I've used.

Reaction score
Can you stream from iPad while also still using the iPad to check email, read the news, etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Yes. Once you queue up the video on the iPad and send it to the ATV2 (through AirPlay) then you can go about doing whatever you want on the iPad. This is provided you are running at least iOS 4.2.1 on the iPad.

I do this all the time.

Reaction score
The Apple TV 2 is a GREAT device, and I say this after having been a very unsatisfied user of the original Apple TV and a Mac mini in use as an HTPC.

Hi, my first post here.

Can you tell me please why you've been a very unsatisfied with ATV 1?

Since I want to buy an ATV, and i still didn't decide if it will be 1 or 2, can you please try to tell me your opinion on ATV 1 vs. ATV 2?
Why you, obviously, think that ATV 2 is better?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
ATV1 will not get updates and will not save you anything in the long run. In fact, if you go into the store, you cant even get ATV1, only AVT2. At $100, just isnt worth getting the 1.

The ATV2 just works. Setup took a shorter amount of time than unboxing it.

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your reply.

But, I'm not from US, I'm from europe and I can't even buy ATV 2 in store right now, at least in my country. It's not a big problem, I can get it in different ways, but I just want to know what are the real differences for me.

I'm in a country where we don't have netflix or any service like that, I was thinking to use ATV just like an HTPC (sort of).
I have an iMac on my upper floor and the plasma is in the lover floor.
I want to be able to stream videos, music and photos from external HDD attached to my iMac onto my plasma through my wireless home network.

Now, as far as I get it, the biggest difference is HDD in ATV 1.
But I think that I also have red somewhere that I could manage to use an USB port on ATV 1 for flash drive or an external HDD connection.

Based on what I've said and if I wouldn't stream 720P high bitrate HD video, what do you think, should I still go with ATV 2?

USB-in port would be a nice feature but not crucial.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, my first post here.

Can you tell me please why you've been a very unsatisfied with ATV 1?

Since I want to buy an ATV, and i still didn't decide if it will be 1 or 2, can you please try to tell me your opinion on ATV 1 vs. ATV 2?
Why you, obviously, think that ATV 2 is better?

When I got it, I initially intended to drop a bigger hard drive in it and generally patch it to use alternative software packages. I didn't realize it used IDE drives, rather than ATA, so that threw me off when the drive I picked up wouldn't work. So I put that on hold and made a Patchstick to add different software packages. This was my first exposure to XBMC, and I really didn't care for it. Ditto for Boxee. It's been some time now since I had it, but it seems neither of those apps were very good at streaming HD videos.

I also felt the device was badly underpowered. In reviewing the specs, the h.264 support for the ATV1 is as follows:

H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

For the ATV2, it is:

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

They don't state what bitrate the ATV2 supports, but I can say that I have one video with a bitrate slightly higher than 8Mbs and it streams that without a glitch. However that bitrate is an exception. Most everything I have is around 2.5 Mbps.

As I mentioned before, I felt that the ATV1 seemed badly underpowered and had trouble handling some HD shows I had. I just double-checked the media info on one show in particular I know was problematic, and I see why that was now. The bitrate is 3.2 Mbs, which is under what the ATV's max support is, but the fps is 25 fps. The ATV1 only supports 720p content up to 24 fps.

If you go with the ATV1, you almost certainly will want to use a Patchstick to add extra functionality. You may also want to consider the Broadcom Crystal HD card. It brings hardware decoding of h.264 video, greatly improving HD playback on the ATV1 if using software written to take advantage of it (i.e. XBMC). It takes the slot of the Airport card, so you would need to plan on playing media strictly off the internal drive, via a connected external drive (a Patchstick will enable that functionality), or via a wired ethernet connection.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply and detailed explanations.

I decided to go with ATV 1, I can get it used for $80 here in Croatia with 40GB HDD.
I'll put a Broadcom Crystal in it and until I do that I'll stream only lower quality videos :).
Besides that stream video "problem", it'll fit my needs perfectly.

Thanks once again, you've being very helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
I have had an Apple TV for a year now and I LOVE IT !!
Previously, I had the Western Digital Media Device which was supposed to act in a similar way as I understood it..
It was the WORST W.D. device i HAVE EVER USED - AND WAS FRANKLY A WASTE OF MONEY, LARGELY BECAUSE it has/had a lousy filing / on-screen display..
A bit like using a child's program and wholly unsatisfactory and probably not as rewarding ultimately !!
Takes absolute aeons to trawl through your Collection to find what you want to watch !

I bought the Apple TV Mk. 1 as it was all that was out 12 months ago - and have found it, in common with other Apple products - a SHEER JOY TO USE on a daily basis.
I also stream all my movies from my 4 different Mac sources - to one of my 46 Samsung LED HDTV's - and play it in only 2.1 sound via my oldish Samsung sound/Dvd system via the Optical output..
And - it's absolutely MARVELLOUS !!
The 160 gb hard drive is useful but not a necessity, as Apple have proven with the launch of ATV2.
I am considering getting the Apple TV 2 for my upstairs bedroom, to work through my smaller Samsung 40" LED TV as I'd bought the cheaper Samsung USB Device - which doesn't work on my series of Samsung - and has now stopped working altogether - a poor buy.

Reaction score
I have the Apple TV2 and love it. The best part for me is the ability to stream Netflix. My ATV wouldn't work correctly with an older HDMI set so I also added an Roku which also works great. I'm going to add a third unit and was thinking about the WD but after reading the above comments I'm going to stay with ATV or Roku.
Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, thanks for your reply.

But, I'm not from US, I'm from europe and I can't even buy ATV 2 in store right now, at least in my country. It's not a big problem, I can get it in different ways, but I just want to know what are the real differences for me.

I'm in a country where we don't have netflix or any service like that, I was thinking to use ATV just like an HTPC (sort of).
I have an iMac on my upper floor and the plasma is in the lover floor.
I want to be able to stream videos, music and photos from external HDD attached to my iMac onto my plasma through my wireless home network.

Now, as far as I get it, the biggest difference is HDD in ATV 1.
But I think that I also have red somewhere that I could manage to use an USB port on ATV 1 for flash drive or an external HDD connection.

Based on what I've said and if I wouldn't stream 720P high bitrate HD video, what do you think, should I still go with ATV 2?

USB-in port would be a nice feature but not crucial.

Thanks

The biggest problem with the ATV 1 was that the interface had a huge lag. This was a result of having the aforementioned ATA Hard Drive but it also had to do with the fact that the interface was poorly designed and the machine was extremely underpowered from a CPU perspective. On top of that my ATV 1 would be so hot after playing a movie that I believe I honestly could have fried an egg on top of it. The ATV 1 would pair with your computer, would show up in iTunes as a device (like the iPod) and since it had a hard drive you could store media on it as well. It was a case of Apple having a wonderful idea but executing it in a less than stellar way.

The ATV 2 however is a wonderful product with little or no lag (depending on your network) and with no hard drive the unit is both very small and very cool (temperature wise, well the other way too). It also have a much better CPU driving the whole setup and the use of home sharing (with an iTunes account vice a specific machine) makes the whole operation much smoother. Since there is no hard drive you can't store media on it but with the way it operates and streams you don't really need to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I played around with my brother's ATV 2 and it's a fantastic little device. The AirPlay feature is phenomenal and the interface for accessing various services, Netflix in particular, is just fantastic.

If I didn't already have an HTPC hooked up to my computer, I would definitely get an AppleTV. Heck, I may still get it just for AirPlay and better Netflix interface. I'll include it in my upcoming home theater overhaul, which includes a new TV and sound system.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
The biggest problem with the ATV 1 was that the interface had a huge lag. This was a result of having the aforementioned ATA Hard Drive but it also had to do with the fact that the interface was poorly designed and the machine was extremely underpowered from a CPU perspective. On top of that my ATV 1 would be so hot after playing a movie that I believe I honestly could have fried an egg on top of it. The ATV 1 would pair with your computer, would show up in iTunes as a device (like the iPod) and since it had a hard drive you could store media on it as well. It was a case of Apple having a wonderful idea but executing it in a less than stellar way.

The ATV 2 however is a wonderful product with little or no lag (depending on your network) and with no hard drive the unit is both very small and very cool (temperature wise, well the other way too). It also have a much better CPU driving the whole setup and the use of home sharing (with an iTunes account vice a specific machine) makes the whole operation much smoother. Since there is no hard drive you can't store media on it but with the way it operates and streams you don't really need to.

NEVER had a single 'problem' with any of this "lag' you refer to !!

Yes - it warms up a bit - but I do live in Southern Spain where summer temperatures are regularly plus 100 degs.F !!
I prefer to do my fried eggs on my BMW 's bonnet... with bacon:*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.