networking

B

beccs

Hey - i'm new here, i wonder if you lovely peeps can help me

I have an iBook and dad has a PC. We have been told that to have broadband on both our machines we have to network them together.

I have been told quite a few different things now. Someone told me to buy a networking package called DAVE (which costs a bomb!) and someone else said that t was possible to do without it and it's all in the help menu's

Has anyone done this and, if so, can they tell me how

thanks

beccs

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
beccs, it depends on what you want to achieve. If you want both the iBook and the Pc to connect to your broadband network you do need a router. I am using a Linksys router connect to broadband modem. My G3 powermac is connected to the router,, my IBM thinkpad is connected to the router and my Ti Powerbook ia aslo connected to the router. So I have three computers on my home network , connecting to my broadband modem. The router is set up as a DHCP server, and all of the computer have DHCP enable.

Dave is use to connect Apples and PCs together, but I don't why you need it. I think it is used to access data off of your PC. You may not need it now.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
you can use a generic ethernet hub, but i would recommend getting a router. it finds the computers better than the computers find each other. it also regulates bandwidth too.

if you just get a hub, reply and i'll show you how to set it up that way too

OP
L

logos

MacAddikt said:
if you just get a hub, reply and i'll show you how to set it up that way too

Hi, I don't know about anyone else but I would very much like your advice on how to properly set up a network to share a DSL connection with an ethernet hub. My partner and myself are 'new' Mac users and have recently ditched our PCs for a powerbook G4 and G5 desktop. The two major resources we share are the connection to the internet and the printer.

We've set up the network according to the basic instructions given in Mac OS X Help and from our knowledge from having the same set up with our PCs but sometimes the pb has had difficulty detecting the connection - it's intermittent though. The G5 acts as the main machine and as the pb's router. Printing is more of a pain even though the pb seems to recognise the networked printer and sends jobs that are clearly queued in the Print Center but there's no output - printing from the pb doesn't seem to be able to 'wake' the printer up - it's a Samsung ML-1210 laser printer with the latest latest drivers for OS X 10.2 , the Print Center thinks it has printed and the print job disappears from its list. Printing from the G5 to which the printer is directly connected is A-ok.

Are these niggles likely to go away with Panther? Or is it a problem with our network set up?

Many, many thanks in advance!

OP
B

beccs

Okay we have finally managed to get a router. It's a Belkin 5 port network switch. It is working on my PC but i can't figure out what settings i need to put in to make it work on mine.

Does anyone know? I am running 10.2 on my ibook

thanks beccs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.