Make TC Extream Base Station???

Reaction score
I have just purchased a TC and it was all up and working and I had backed up my Mac (took 48 hours).

Have just bought an ethernet cable to go from TC to Sky router to make TC an extreme base station (sharing internet access).

When I did this, I rebooted my Mac but nothing, just yellow light flashing all the time on TC. I reset the Sky (wireless) router and the TC, unplugged both and still I could not get them to work with each other.

I took the ethernet cable out of the Sky router, and after rebooting TC, Sky router and Mac I managed to get internet connection again.

I have also updated the firmware. I have ethernet cable plugged into the correct port (the round icon thingy)

How do I make the TC an airport extreme base station please, I have already set up the Airport Utility?

Not too teccy please (I'm a TC beginner) or I won't understand

Can you give me some help guys & Gals :) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You need to put one of the devices into bridge mode. I.e. it'll hand off all the tasks like DHCP, traffic routing etc to the other device.

It depends on which Sky modem/router you have as to whether you can put it into bridge mode.

I'd suggest connecting the TC (assuming this is a Time Capsule) to your Mac with the ethernet cable. Go into Airport Utility and configure it to Bridge Mode (getting it's IP from the Sky box). You can still have the TC manage your wi-fi network(s).

Now restart the TC and connect it, using the ethernet cable to the Sky Modem/router. Use one of the 4 ethernet ports on the TC not the single DSL port.

You don't need to change anything on the Sky box unless you want to turn of the wireless on it if everything connects via the TC.

BTW Welcome to the forum :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Not absolutely sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to extend your wireless network by adding the TC to your existing network based by the Sky Router? Or are you trying to essentially set up a new network with the TC as the Base. You would use Airport Utility to do either, but the steps are a little different depending on which you choose.

Here are some links that may be helpful

AirPort Base Station and Network Setup Guide (Mac OS X 10.4 or earlier)
Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations

EDIT: I was searching for links and now see MRPLOW's post. Good advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.