language problem with Outlook Exp..help

Z

Zippy

I use outlook express on system 9.2. I get an error message when I start the program that says "Spelling could not be initialized because the initialization of "English (US)" dictionary failed. Please select a different language using the spelling panel in Preferences"

Well the Spelling panel in Outlook Express looks light colored...like it is not active.

I think this happened when I lost my hard drive crashed and I transferred all my files from a back up disk. Everything else works ok.

What should I do...I like the spelling function because it helped correct my spelling errors.

email me at [email protected] if you can help.

Thanks,

OP
B

Badger

First, try running the self-repair program that comes with OE. It may be able to fix it. Otherwise, I would reinstall OE from a fresh download. Go to the OE folder and find the folder inside labeled "Identities." Drag this folder to a safe place. Now drag the main OE folder to the trash. Go to the preferences folder inside the system folder and find the OE prefs files; drag those files to the trash. Now reinstall OE from the fresh download. Find the "Identities" folder in the new OE folder and trash it. Move the "Identities" folder that you kept to the new OE folder. You should be able to use OE now.

OP
Z

Zippy

location of files

Badger said:
First, try running the self-repair program that comes with OE. It may be able to fix it. Otherwise, I would reinstall OE from a fresh download. Go to the OE folder and find the folder inside labeled "Identities." Drag this folder to a safe place. Now drag the main OE folder to the trash. Go to the preferences folder inside the system folder and find the OE prefs files; drag those files to the trash. Now reinstall OE from the fresh download. Find the "Identities" folder in the new OE folder and trash it. Move the "Identities" folder that you kept to the new OE folder. You should be able to use OE now.

OK, I can try that. My OE Identities is located in the Microsoft Documents, then Microsoft User Data section, not in the folder that contains OE itself. I am wondering if it makes a difference where those files are located.

The OE folder is in a separate Applications folder. Should the OE Identities be in the OE folder, or in the MS Docs-MS User Data section?

Also, does it matter where the OE file itself is located.

OP
B

Badger

Replace the identities folder where it is located on your computer. This happens because MS installers, like Office, try to centralize folders that are shared by MS apps. It doesn't matter where the OE folder is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.