Time-Capsule Drive and iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have purchased a new MBP and am (im)patiently waiting for it to arrive. I am drilling down through my checklist of things to find out while I have time.

Time-Capsule: I understand it is a network drive that plugs into the router or connects via Wifi. It will store the backup files for the MBP. I understand all this (network engineer).

iTunes: I have been using iTunes since my first iPod back in 2001. I have all my music and a very large percentage of my DVD collection and audiobook collection and my now inconsiderable iOS Apps on an external drive that is accessed via USB within iTunes installed on my existing PC.

Apple TV: I have an ATV2 on my TV and use it more than I do my cablebox. While my existing laptop is on (which is less and less with the fan going out) I can view all my iTunes content on the ATV2.

My questions are these:
1. Is it possible to also put my entire iTunes library onto the Time-Capsule drive and access it directly through my MBP's install of iTunes?
2. Will the ATV2 access the iTunes content from the Time-Capsule without having to have my MBP on all the time to serve it out?
3. Considering my iTunes library size is approaching 400GB and the HD in my new MBP being 500GB, should I get the 2TB version of the Time-Capsule?

Yes, I am excited about the possibility of having a full function A/V setup using these tools. And, if it works, I will be getting a 2nd ATV2 for my other TV.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can have your entire music collection on the Time Capsule. I have mine set up that way. Once you copy the files to the new location launch iTunes, open preferences, and change the location of the music folder by selecting the folder on the Time Capsule.

The one thing to remember is to make sure the Time Capsule's drive is mounted before iTunes launches. th the past i have used an Automator workflow to do that for me. It's pretty easily done. If the drive is not mounted first then iTunes will look in the old location to find your music.

OP
Deckyon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
After a bit more research, and a phone call to the local Mac club (not store) I may be going with a different solution that will cost less than the Time Capsule. The consensus I got from the people I talked to was the HD in the Time Capsule was not meant for, and does not hold up to, full time R/W access outside of the standard backup. In short, 3 of the 5 people I spoke with ended up wiping the TC and taking it back.

Now, as a different solution, I may be getting the AirPort Extreme and plugging in a drive to it and backing up that way. I can get a couple 1TB drives and put them in a SATA enclosure for a lot less than the 2TB model of the TC. I can then have all my iTunes (400GB) on that drive and accessible as well as backup my Mac to the same drive. All for about $75 less than the TC alone.

When I say my stuff gets a lot of use, it gets a lot of use. I dont want to worry about my iTunes and Backup drives failing - especially my iTunes library. I am still considering keeping my library on my existing 1TB USB drive and getting a 2nd USB drive for the backups alone. I just dont want to have to hook a lot of stuff up to my computer or carry a lot with me all over in a bag.

Heck, I have until the 12th to figure it out, so I am not that worried right now. My actual goal was to remove the laptop from the equation when trying to stream my iTunes collection to my ATV2. That isn't going to happen from what I have learned.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A bit of advice: You can never have too much redundancy when it come to your music and photo collection. Make backups of your backups and your backups.......;D

OP
Deckyon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha - Choir here! You should see my film library: 13 TB on BluRay disks of the raw footage.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Now, as a different solution, I may be getting the AirPort Extreme and plugging in a drive to it and backing up that way. I can get a couple 1TB drives and put them in a SATA enclosure for a lot less than the 2TB model of the TC. I can then have all my iTunes (400GB) on that drive and accessible as well as backup my Mac to the same drive. All for about $75 less than the TC alone.

I had a WD USB HD plugged into my TC and was not satisfied with the performance (may have been because I didn't do the Automator Script--which I hadn't considered before). I was continually having to reintroduce iTunes to my WD HD and the shared iTunes Library.
I may go back and try it again now based on Slydude's comment.

OP
Deckyon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am so used to having scripts to map drives when not in the office or out of my house that I never even considered NOT doing it. Just something you get used to I guess.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I had a WD USB HD plugged into my TC and was not satisfied with the performance (may have been because I didn't do the Automator Script--which I hadn't considered before). I was continually having to reintroduce iTunes to my WD HD and the shared iTunes Library.
I may go back and try it again now based on Slydude's comment.

It's a fairly simple thing to set up in Automator. I am sure I could be done with AppleScript as well though I am less familiar with that. If you need any help I can post the steps later.

The same effect can be achieved by mounting the drive that has your content and adding it as a login item for your account. I had it this way originally with a NAS drive but changed things because I didn't want the drive up all the time.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks. I'll definitely let you know if I need help. Appreciate the tips.

Reaction score
You may not need help, but I do. I was just about to open a thread with the same questions and came across this one. I currently have a 2TB Time Capsule which is also acting as my network/router.

Problems:
-I only have a 240GB SSD in my MBP so would like to erase my movie/TV/music content and have iTunes load directly from my iTunes folder on the Time Capsule.(Aside from the backup of my MBP on the Time Capsule I have also created a iTunes folder outside of my MBP back up, so would like to 'point' iTunes here). I would like to only keep a select couple of playlists and 1 or 2 movies on my MBP for when I am not in range of a network.

-I have no idea how to mount the Time Capsule so will need detailed instructions on how to do that :) Please....

-if I point iTunes to look for movies/music on my Time Capsule will this affect syncing for my iPad and iPhone?

-how can I access my Time Capsule when I am not on my home network? I travel a lot so would like to know if there is away I can access my Time Capsule when away from home.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
I'm currently ensuring my iTunes library on my computer is on my Time Capsule. I found in preferences where I can tell iTunes to look for the new library. So am going to try that when it's done. Still looking for answers to above though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.