Strange message appearing on screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi Guys and Guyesses,
I don't know if this is the correct board to place this question so I'll apologise up front if I got it wrong.
I am using a Mac Mini Aluminium connected to a Plasma TV.
I don't leave CDs or DVDs in the drive after I finish using them but I sometimes leave an SD card or Memory Stick in a USB card reader fixed into the USB ports at the rear of the Mac.
Now, when my Mac/TV combo are untouched for 5 minutes, the Mac goes into a sort of Sleep mode and the TV screen goes blank. This is fine and how I want it to be. All I need to do to make it all come to life again is touch a key on the wireless keyboard or click on the Magic mouse.
The only concern is that when I do that, a message appears on screen to warn me that I have done a bad thing.
It is the same warning, in a bright red mini window, that you would get if you were working on your Mac and just pulled out the USB card reader while the memory card in it was being used.
Part of the warning is that damage can be caused by this action and that's the bit that has me worried.
The thing is, I am NOT actually removing the Memory card reader but the Mac thinks that I am. Is it still possible to cause any damage to the memory card or the Mac?

Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It could be CEC or PBC in most HDMI connections on new equipment these control other
gear thats attached, see if the problem goes away if you disable these features.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi there osxx,
I have absolutely no idea what that means or how to disable it but thanks for trying.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think (This is a guess) that when the Mini is sleeping, it's taking it that the memory card was pulled and giving you that message. Just a guess.

C

chas_m

And yes, this could damage the memory card. You should probably adjust the settings so that the computer's DISPLAY sleeps, but not the actual computer unless you manually sleep it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Hi there osxx,
I have absolutely no idea what that means or how to disable it but thanks for trying.

It may have no issue with the mini but that would be in the set up menu on your TV if it does not have it disregard. It has had issues with other gear in the past and I am just taking a stab here HDMI can be as hateful as wonderful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
No - it isn't hdmi - I have the same issue happen with a ssd card in my pci-express slot - when I close/sleep the MBP - and wake it back up I get the same warning. It seems to do with USB/Express flash type drives. I don't seem to have the problems with USB hard drives, and it isn't all USB flash drives either.

Try this
Automatically eject/mount disks on sleep/wake - Mac OS X Hints

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.