• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone use by teens at a record high and growing

Reaction score
iPhone use by teens at a record high and growing

piperjaf4611dw.jpg

Piper Jaffray has been polling US teens on their iPhone adoption rates twice a year and the current bi-annual report was released yesterday. In the survey, 4500 teens were asked about the iPhones that they already own, or plan to purchase over the next six months.

17% responded that they already own an iPhone and a full 37% told Piper Jaffray that they plan to buy one (or have their parents buy it for them) over the next six months. If this sample is any indication, the future looks great for Apple in the teen segment. I thought the six month time frame was telling, since even the most conservative of pundits believe the iPhone 5 will be out six months from now.

Apple still owns the MP3 market with 80% saying they own such a device, and out of that, 86% own some flavor of iPod with everyone else being left in the dust. This is not all hearts and flowers though, since in the poll taken last spring, 92% of teens owned an iPod, with total MP3 adoption of 86%. It may mean that more teens are using iPhones to listen to music, with over half reporting that they listen to music on their cell phone, the highest number reported for that stat. Though it's not specifically stated, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that more teens are listening to music on Apple devices than any other brands in the category.

In a question about tablet sales, 22% of teens say they already have one, with another 20% planning to buy one in the next six months. I think that we can all agree that the lion's share of those purchases will be iPads as well.

[via Apple 2.0]

iPhone use by teens at a record high and growing originally appeared on TUAW on Wed, 06 Apr 2011 16:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
All my friends have an Android phone…hardly any of them have an iPhone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I know tons of people with iPhones. I think I've seen about 3 people around here with an Android phone.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't want to generalize teens here but generally they conflate "will get" with "want to get." As a teenager, I remember friends (and myself) saying we were getting something when we were really just saying that we wanted to get it.

It's BB country around here. They easily outnumber other smartphones, hands down.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's a pretty even split amongst my coworkers between iPhone and Androids. And Androids are really starting to replace Blackberries for our company-owned phones. Motorola actually has a really nice Exchange connector with full management capabilities (including remote wipe, etc).

Of course we just started supporting the iPhone - our very first one was the CEO of the organization. It should be interesting to see how the tide changes now that the iPhone is available through VZW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.