ADSL vs DSL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-MacBookPro
I have an iMac 27" connected to an ADSL modem. I tried to install a Netgear WNDR3400-100NAS router. The Mac Wizard activated the network connection and connected to the router but didn't see the ADSL modem. I checked the connections and reran the wizard, it still did not connect to the ADSL modem. I replaced the cable between the router and the modem and the same problem occurred. The modem is now working fine directly connected to the iMac. I'm going to return the router tomorrow. Is there any difference between DSL and ADSL that would cause the router not to connect. I don't want to go through the same thing if I simply replace the unit. The Best Buy guy tried to sell me on a Time Capsule, which I declined.

Lloyd

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which ISP do you have? Modem model? And did they supply you with the modem? Usually hooking up a modem, whether it be cable type or phone type (yours) and then to the router, is fairly straight forward.

You probably should speak with support at your ISP to see if the router you bought is compatible with their modem. And ask for their help in getting everything running.

I'm assuming you were never able to get on the net? Your Mac does not necessarily have to "see" the modem in order to get on the net. The router connection from the modem gives you an IP address and protects you from intruders.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-MacBookPro
It turns out that the ISP has locked down the modem. Their tech must come here to set up the router with the modem. The modem is also a single port router, so perhaps it is a firewall setting. Thanks for responding.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Other ISPs do likewise. However, most now make the user employ one of their proprietary modems which is hard coded with "their" settings. Verizon is the biggest offender of this method especially on their FIOS networks. Not much you can do about it, unfortunately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.