Do I have trojan? or Virus?

Reaction score
I know everyone says there are no viruses. I have a macbook pro. It works on a wireless network. It was fine and now I cannot go on the internet, but only at home on that network. It works fine in other locations. I even tried using a ethernet cord from the modem and nothing. The Airport says things are fine, the diagnosis says there is a connection. Other computers work fine on this system with the wireless.
The Mac safari just sits there when you type in something. Yes there is the swirling item on the address bar but nothing happens.
Someone was using the computer and I believe they down loaded a Torrent and maybe that caused it.

Anyone have CONSTRUCTIVE help to fix this so I can again use the computer on this network?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you can use the computer on another network and it doesn't work only on your network, then it surely can't be a virus or trojan..

If there is a connection, even a claimed one, open up the terminal and type the following
Code:
ifconfig -a
cat /etc/resolv.conf
ping -n5 google.com

The first will show you what your IP address is, ensure that it's valid for your network. You want to look for the "en0" interface. The second command shows you what your DNS is setup as, the last will use the DNS and your network connection to resolve google.com and ping it.

Report back as to what you see and let's see where we go from there..

Also describe how your network is setup at home..

Regards

Reaction score
My first comment would be that, if your Mac works fine on one network and not another, then it's probably a problem with either configuration, security, or connectivity. If you had a trojan that effected your ability to communicate with the outside world, it wouldn't discriminate based on the network.

I would start by checking those three things and ruling them out definitively.

Good luck,
Z

OP
E
Reaction score
Where is this terminal? I have cable modem and a links router (newer one within 2 years old)

Reaction score
Terminal is an application on your Mac... It's analogous to a Command Prompt in Windows.

If you go to Spotlight (click the magnifying glass at the top-right), and type "Terminal" it will appear as an application option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I know everyone says there are no viruses. I have a macbook pro. It works on a wireless network. It was fine and now I cannot go on the internet, but only at home on that network. It works fine in other locations. I even tried using a ethernet cord from the modem and nothing. The Airport says things are fine, the diagnosis says there is a connection. Other computers work fine on this system with the wireless.
The Mac safari just sits there when you type in something. Yes there is the swirling item on the address bar but nothing happens.
Someone was using the computer and I believe they down loaded a Torrent and maybe that caused it.

Anyone have CONSTRUCTIVE help to fix this so I can again use the computer on this network?

Trojan? Doubtful, as pointed out it wouldn't discriminate one network from the next. A true, actual, literal "Virus"? No such thing for Macs.

After you've sorted out your network settings and get things straightened out, set up a guest account for others to use if they must use your Mac. Whatever they do under that guest account will not stick. When you log in with your Admin account, everything will be as you left it when you logged out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.