Multiple Monitors - mirroring at different resolutions

Reaction score
Hi,
I have two different monitors that are very different sizes/resolutions. My main monitor is 1920x1200 my secondary is 1440x900. I need to mirror them. So I setup the secondary with the extra mini-DVI port off my video card. But once i enable mirroring main monitor degrades to 1440x900.

How can i preserve the resolution of each monitor but still use mirroring. If i got a second video card would this work?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Nehalem Quad Cord

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
The second video card may work... the problem here is that if your secondary monitor supports a maximum of 1440x900 I you enable mirroring then both resolutions have to be the same, so it will default to the maximum of the least capable monitor.
Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in with respects to the second video card though.

Hope this helps a little

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
If your going to mirror the display, a second video card would do the trick, but they can be brutally expensive as an external video card.

Mirroring is just as it applies, your mirroring the display, so the aspect ratio has to be consistent with what your viewing. Otherwise it wouldn't be mirroring.

What program are you running that requires you to mirror if I might ask?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.