HELP!! MacBook not booting

Reaction score
Hi I have a MacBook 13" 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 160GB HDD, Unibody, OS X Leopard

It is stuck on the startup screen with the apple logo and the spinning thing underneath. I have tried booting in safe mode (no luck), I have reset the PRAM and the one where you take the battery out and hold down the on button (sorry forgot the name). I have tried putting the disk in and when it gets to select destination nothing happens.
I have tried disk utility, put when I try to partition the HDD it says error. When I try to Zero the HDD it says error. The HDD has been verified though. I can't get to an apple store.

Any Ideas? I am also willing to trade it for an iPad if all else fails. It is fully boxed and comes with everything. A couple of scratches on the top, but nothing major. If you think you can fix it then I think that is a great deal.

But obviously if you think you can help me out please do. Thanks in advance. I'm also in the UK

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
how long have you left it to see if it boots? sometimes it just takes forever, and is usually a bad drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
how long have you left it to see if it boots? sometimes it just takes forever, and is usually a bad drive.

Tried all last night, so about 6 hours, but been like it all week, been trying for hours at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Certainly sounds like your HDD has died on you, best thing to do is to swap it out with a new one, install the OS then restore from a backup (if you have any) or try and recover your files manually using an external USB enclosure.

Hope this helps a little,

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
Certainly sounds like your HDD has died on you, best thing to do is to swap it out with a new one, install the OS then restore from a backup (if you have any) or try and recover your files manually using an external USB enclosure.

Hope this helps a little,

- Simon

Thanks Simon, I'll give it a try

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
No problem, keep us posted on it or if you have any more questions.

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
No problem, keep us posted on it or if you have any more questions.

- Simon

I have put the external drive in, and it has popped up straight away with no problems under select a destination.

So what I think I will do is buy a new Hitachi 160gb SATA 2.5" drive. It's £25.00 off eBay. What do you think? I have also bought a new MacBook Pro (which is lightning) to use now.

I would still like to sort my MacBook out though, I think I have now lost all my data anyway. Luckily all my coursework was backed up. If I have any more problems I will let you know, thanks regards
Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you never know with eBay buys but hopefully it will be absolutely fine, it certainly should be compatible with your MB.
By new MBP do you mean brand-new latest model? If so then nice purchase!!! If you fancy selling your MacBook after you recovered your stuff I may be interested ;) specially as you are in West Midlands and i'm in East Midlands ;)
Absolutely any more questions you know where we all are :)

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks again, and it is the brand new one. The i5 is fast.
I'll let you know how I get on and if I have anymore questions.

I'll probably take you up on that offer if I can sort it. It'll probably take a week or 2 though yet.

Thanks

-Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure you do ;)

Great if you do take me up on the offer, could do with another laptop, my old one (no in the possession of my other-half is coming to a slow death, pretty sure she wants a mac too ;)

Hope to hear soon (but no rush) :)

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.