MacBook Pro kicking PCs off the web problem

Reaction score
One person in our office uses a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.7), and when she connects to our network wirelessly, within minutes the rest of us on XP Pro and Windows 7 (yeah, PC users, we can have that discussion another time ;D) are unable to access the web. The funny thing is, things like streaming audio and instant messenger programs like Yahoo continue to work, but web access is gone (not for her, just for us).

I'm not a Mac user, but would like a solution if anybody has one, so all of us can play nice!

(No, this is not an April Fools joke!)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
That's one of the lesser publicized features of the recently released 10.6.7 - it kicks anything running Windows off the network.

Ok - April Fool's (weak, I know :) )

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Hehe - couldn't resist. :) if I had a clue why it was acting like this - I'd be happy to offer a suggestion - but unfortunately I don't. I mean the fact that you can still chat and have streaming audio tells me the router knows where to send packets - so why your browsers would cease to work is a bit of a mystery. Just as a check - you can look at her network configuration and make sure she's not using a static IP address (that she's pulling one from your router) - but again - the fact that the rest of your IP traffic makes it - leads me to think this has nothing to do with it.

Don't worry - there are plenty here who know much more on this topic than I do. They'll be along eventually.

OP
J
Reaction score
At first I thought it was an IP issue, but several PCs lose the ability to surf the web when she logs on. As soon as she disconnects, it's all good again. Strangest thing.

Reaction score
Hey all - using the new model macbook pro, running OS X 10.6.7, had this issue today at work (none of the windows users on this LAN were impressed ;D) and it looks as though my macbook hijacked the internet IP for this LAN.

I've renewed the DHCP lease for my device, and this seems to have resolved the issue - hopefully this doesn't happen again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Try creating another subnet on your network and put the mac user on that subnet. Leave the other users on the other subnet. Should keep the two types of users from interfering with each other

Reaction score
Try creating another subnet on your network and put the mac user on that subnet. Leave the other users on the other subnet. Should keep the two types of users from interfering with each other

How exactly would one create another subnet? I am having a similar problem, my mac can connect to the internet just fine. however when i switch over to my PC side i cannot connect to the internet. my brother is also running a mac (old laptop) and has no problems with the internet. He also has a PC laptop, and dose not seem to have a problem with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.