Will my laptop read a DVD+R disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
Hi all,
I intend to have some backups made on a PC but they will be DVD+R. Will my powerbook be able to read it? Can't seem to find much information about this anywhere. thanks!

Alice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i havent go that revision PB but google your drive product number and see what it brings up like i did with mine and it told me everything about it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Yes it will read the DVD+R.

J

Joolz34

I thought it was only the newer powerbooks that could read it? Or was that -R? Either way it might be worth checking if your drive software/firmware is up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I believe if the disc is "finalized" it can be read. This would go for a video or data DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It says in his specs that it is a 1.67ghz powerbook g4 with super drive...if that information is correct then the system can read that particular disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Joolz34 said:
I thought it was only the newer powerbooks that could read it? Or was that -R? Either way it might be worth checking if your drive software/firmware is up to date.
He has a brand new model...

I believe the issue you're referring to was with burning dvd's, not reading them.

My 2004 iBook G4 can read them, so I'd bet all the AlBook's can. I know the Gigabit TiBook couldn't though for example...

J

Joolz34

Yeah youre right - I was getting it mixed up with the burning... :( Sorry if I caused any confusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nope you didn't cause any confusion.. next time to make it easier for us when asking a specific computer based question let us know the type of computer in your post, not only does this make it easier for people to search for a problem they are having with a simular computer but allows the people responding to know what computer you are talking about incase they don't see the specs on the left side. Just trying to keep it easy for the rest of the community ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
Thanks for all the replies. However, can i just point out that defaulting me to a man is depressing. I did include my name in the post!

I've managed to convince my boss to get an external HDD so the DVD format issue is now redundant!woo hoo..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.