• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

GoDaddy CEO shoots elephant, injures brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
So let me get this straight.. Rather than take some of that GoDaddy.com money and help the farmers with longer term solutions, this idiot chose to blog killing an beautiful animal for a bit of P.R. time? Yeah, I'll not be using GoDaddy, that's for sure.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
GoDaddy has been on my *bad* list ever since visiting their front page only to see some half clad girl or something to the same effect.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I knew there was something wrong with the company, when their Super Bowl commercials sold cleavage, instead of their service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I just have 2 things to say about this. First, the saying, "he shot himself in the foot," is more like he shot himself in the head, with this incident. Second, I was appalled that they had to kill an elephant because they have encroached onto their land, when it is the people who have actually taken the land away from the elephants. Too bad the elephants can shoot a gun. I was saddened watching the first part of the video(wow, you killed something that was running away from you with a gun, what an achievement! You haven't conquered anything worthy of those pictures!), but then realized that the people there don't even care, or have the same morals. Whatever, godaddy never registered in my mind as a legitimate helpful company anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Are you all vegetarians? That's awesome if you are, because I am, too. I'm just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Are you all vegetarians? That's awesome if you are, because I am, too. I'm just curious.

Heck no. I love a juicy, rare burger! But the point is that killing for the sake of killing is not justified in the least. I wish the elephant would have trampled those jack holes.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Heck no. I love a juicy, rare burger! But the point is that killing for the sake of killing is not justified in the least. I wish the elephant would have trampled those jack holes.

Doug

If GoDaddy CEO had eaten the elephant, would the killing have been justified?

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Let's not get into the morality discussions/debate about those who choose to eat meat or not.
I've had this many times with many people, and over the years decided not to try to justify my actions or have them justify theirs to me.

Animals are always going to be killed for many reasons, agree or disagree with the reasons, it should at least be as humane as possible.
People like that CEO should also be killed as humanely as possible, even though I wouldn't be able to show him as much compassion as I'd like to if I were given the all clear :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Before i go on, please take it easy on me ......

A few things struck me watching this video.

1st and foremost, is what a <Richard> head this bloke is gloating about it and then posting it online. It is this that makes me believe he did it for the fun of it. Which is wrong in anyones book.
The 2nd thing that got me was that killing this pest (yes pest ill explain shortly), the farmer was able to save his crop and has now got a continued income and is able to feed his family other than starve and have nothing left until next season.
3rd observation was by killing the pest the villagers and as you read villages from further afield got to have some high in iron red meat to eat. This wouldnt happen often for them, as from the video it was if they have never seen it before.

Now on the pest thing. We do this in Australia every single year, and it is even to our national mascot the Kangaroo. And this is a good thing. Farmers see the roo's as pests bc they go in and trample the crops and eat them until there is nothing left and now the farmer has just lost 30-40K of grain from one paddock.
Now think about it, what would you do ? Go and shoot a few roo's killing them and scaring off the others for them to not return or just watch them eat away at $30 000 ?? Yep thought so, you would shoot the roo's. Now how is this any different?? Dont get me wrong shooting for the sake of shooting a animal is wrong but the 'team' which probably does this all year round and Mr GoDaddy is just a paying customer, would be doing this as if we were shooting a roo.

I just dont understand why just because its a elephant that people cant see past Mr GoDaddy and see the bigger picture here.

Thats my 2c and yes im in the belief that what the "team" did was a good thing.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's not get into the morality discussions/debate about those who choose to eat meat or not.

I don't care who eats meat and who doesn't. I'm more concerned with the hypocrisy. You know, being outraged at some dude killing an elephant while at the same time enjoying a "juicy, rare burger," for example. Again, eat your juicy burger, I don't care. But why is the life of an elephant more important than the life of a cow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If GoDaddy CEO had eaten the elephant, would the killing have been justified?

No, and you're sort of missing the point... although I think you already know that, and are trying to test me maybe ? They supposedly killed the elephant, because it was destroying their crops, which they also claim would have led to the villagers starving.

But here's the problem: With all that GoDaddy.com money, it would have been very feasible for that idiot CEO to not only do the right thing, but it would have garnered him and his company MUCH better P.R. light. What he could have done was set up a charitable contribution fund for the village, and they could have perhaps found a solution that would have let the animals *whom undoubtedly were there well before the people* roam without interference, while feeding and protecting the people in the process.

Eating the elephant AFTER that whole show means nothing except that his redneck self was proud of the nothing that he did to protect the people, or the animals. It was reckless and stupid thinking. Is he going to stay there now and kill every elephant, bull or other wild animal that belongs in that territory by natural right? No, he's not... it was a dumb show with absolutely zero thought to what is going to happen in that village the next day, or the day after that, or after that etc etc..

Also, is elephant what those people eat there on a regular basis? I do believe in natural selection, food chain and all that, but take the gun out of the hunters' hands and then what? From the looks of things over there, not many people can afford a gun, let alone a toothbrush. So the whole thing is really tacky to me.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
They need to do the veterinarian animal hunts. What they do is a vet and a hunter goes out. And the hunter shoots the animal like a real hunt. But no bullets. They use a tranq dart. And when the animal is hit they get the pics with it then the vet takes it away for it's check ups and then releases it back to the wild.

So the hunter gets his hunt. And the animal gets it's checkup. So everyone wins.

Why someone actually wants to use bullets and kill an animal is just beyond me.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hey I saw that on the TV and the hunters who tried it absolutely loved it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before i go on, please take it easy on me ......

A few things struck me watching this video.

1st and foremost, is what a <Richard> head this bloke is gloating about it and then posting it online. It is this that makes me believe he did it for the fun of it. Which is wrong in anyones book.
The 2nd thing that got me was that killing this pest (yes pest ill explain shortly), the farmer was able to save his crop and has now got a continued income and is able to feed his family other than starve and have nothing left until next season.
3rd observation was by killing the pest the villagers and as you read villages from further afield got to have some high in iron red meat to eat. This wouldnt happen often for them, as from the video it was if they have never seen it before.

Now on the pest thing. We do this in Australia every single year, and it is even to our national mascot the Kangaroo. And this is a good thing. Farmers see the roo's as pests bc they go in and trample the crops and eat them until there is nothing left and now the farmer has just lost 30-40K of grain from one paddock.
Now think about it, what would you do ? Go and shoot a few roo's killing them and scaring off the others for them to not return or just watch them eat away at $30 000 ?? Yep thought so, you would shoot the roo's. Now how is this any different?? Dont get me wrong shooting for the sake of shooting a animal is wrong but the 'team' which probably does this all year round and Mr GoDaddy is just a paying customer, would be doing this as if we were shooting a roo.

I just dont understand why just because its a elephant that people cant see past Mr GoDaddy and see the bigger picture here.

Thats my 2c and yes im in the belief that what the "team" did was a good thing.

Cheers

Believe it or not, I agree with your logic and sentiment. I'm not being a hypocrite, I'm just looking at things from a slightly different perspective. Those people in the village don't have the ability to take down elephants on a constant basis, or so it would seem. This guy's whole show was done to show off how crass he is, not because he cares about the village.

Now, let's say that this village had a persistent elephant problem, trampling on their crops and such... At a certain point, you have to use your brains and think ahead. Is staying in that location then, beneficial to their long term goals, or is it going to take more time and resources than they can afford, in order to solve their problems?

If it were just that one elephant, whom was being a PITA, they very well could have done something other than killing it first. But was it just this one instance ? We've no data on that.

As far as cows go, they're usually bred for slaughter or put to pasture for their milk etc etc.. Same for all the other cute little animals we eat. Not that it's right per-say, but there is a difference between an animal who's existence may very well fall under the endangered species list one day, and one whom is bred by the crate full. I guess that could seem hypocritical though...

I'm glad those people got to eat, and that maybe their crop issue was solved... but the point is that both those things could be very temporary.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, and you're sort of missing the point...

I'm not missing the point at all. Or I should say, I'm not arguing that point. Some people are kosher with the slaughtering of animals, so long as they were slaughtered in a factory by a bunch of illegal immigrants. And if that's your thing, that's cool. But why is it okay to kill those animals, but not an elephant?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I just killed a mosquito about 5 minutes ago (no lie) to protect my body from an annoying, itching bump and to prevent the possibility of it spreading disease to me or my family.
I don't really see any difference between this and what the Go Daddy CEO did except for the fact that he put the video up for everyone to see. But then again, maybe he was proud of helping the poor villagers. No one on here is as poor as those individuals whom he helped so think of how you would feel if you needed that kind of help to protect your meager livelihood. Good for him helping out. Bad idea to post the video because in this day and age everyone is SO effen quick to make a big debate over things like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just killed a mosquito about 5 minutes ago (no lie) to protect my body from an annoying, itching bump and to prevent the possibility of it spreading disease to me or my family.
I don't really see any difference between this and what the Go Daddy CEO did except for the fact that he put the video up for everyone to see. But then again, maybe he was proud of helping the poor villagers. No one on here is as poor as those individuals whom he helped so think of how you would feel if you needed that kind of help to protect your meager livelihood. Good for him helping out. Bad idea to post the video because in this day and age everyone is SO effen quick to make a big debate over things like this.

Um, you really don't see the difference between killing a bug which can potentially kill you or your loved ones if it's carrying the West Nile Virus vs a man being cocky about killing an elephant with a gun for the sake of a PR stunt? He could have done this without filming it and blogging about it. But there's obviously a reason as to why he did it, and my paycheck says that it's not because he was filming an instructional video.

This whole moral stance of "what's the difference between killing one life form and another" is tad disingenuous IMO, when we all very well know that there are more things involved than what we "feel".

There are ecological factors involved, that are more important than what our oh so precious moral constitutions dictate here... The mosquito ain't goin' anywhere... its species has been around far longer than we have. And even killing hoards of them won't have an negative impact upon our ecological system. I'm not saying that killing one or even several elephants would either.. but that wasn't even my point since the two cases are distinctly separate.

As for protecting the poor villagers livelihood, I really think you should read through my post again and try to see things from a different perspective. We don't know that more elephants aren't to follow.... If they are, the godaddy doosh ain't gonna be there to bail them out all the time. He may have in fact done more harm than good. This isn't me being moral or spiritual right now, I'm just trying to look at this logically.

Either way... I personally don't like how the guy operates, and I won't be supporting his company. I could care less whether or not anyone here feels differently, as each of us is entitled to our own prerogatives.

Personally speaking, if I were able to live off of pizza, I would. I do love the taste of a good burger, but I can certainly live without them. Pizza on the other hand... life just wouldn't be the same or worth living without it. Hmm.. my cat is looking kind of tasty right now... she's so plump!

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.