Airport-mac-windows????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20'' 2.0GHz 2gb Ram 400gb HDD
Hi, would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this;

I have an imac g5 and my brother has a windows pc, im planning on getting broadband so we can share the connection, firstly, which broadband isp should i go with??, and secondly should i get a aiport extreme base station or a branded router, e.g.buffalo, d-link, which would be easiest to set up for us both??

Reaction score
Shadowfax said:
Hi, would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this;

I have an imac g5 and my brother has a windows pc, im planning on getting broadband so we can share the connection, firstly, which broadband isp should i go with??, and secondly should i get a aiport extreme base station or a branded router, e.g.buffalo, d-link, which would be easiest to set up for us both??

Which ISP? Check for local availability, then price compare.

As for sharing broadband....if he's in the next room, the easiest way is to get a router and hook it up to the DSL/cable modem...that's it. The airport extreme base station is good if you have laptops and want to take a dump with it. Since you have a G5 desktop...just get a router. I've not had good exprience with Linksys so far. I hear d-link and netgear is suppose to be good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
my experience with netgear is that they have to many problems... I like linksys they have good products and they are a sub-comapny of cisco systems, and I truely trust cisco with anything computer... Go Linksys with a wired router.. I do howerver like the aiport extreme if you want to go wireless.

B

badmojo

Any wireless router will do, really save for maybe a Microsoft brand. Unless you have a network printer that you want to use from the Apple base station, just use a regular wireless router.

Reaction score
I have a regular ethernet modem conneted to Airport Express. My G5 and PC both connect through it for net and Printer sharing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have several Macs and a Dell connected through an Airport Extreme network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've never had a bad experience with Netgear stuff, and I've been using/recommending it since they were a unit of Bay Networks. I wouldn't rule them out.

That said, my current setup has a Motorola WR850G router, and it's run perfectly ever since I installed it.

As for the ISP, as redbrick said, it's best to see what's available in your area. You don't say where you're located, but here in the Chicago area there are always promotions going on with Comcast (the cable company) and SBC (the phone company). There are competitive deals all over the country right now.

A rule of thumb would be that cable-based broadband is generally faster and more expensive while DSL is cheaper but slower.

Check out www.dslreports.com to see what other users' experiences are in your area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Kinda the same question...

I currently have a Windows PC and will be getting an imac G5. I do have a broadband connection via ethernet. When I do get my new mac, I plan on keeping both computers in the den (just placed on differnt sides of the room). I would like to either
a) keep my PC connected via ethernet cord and make my mac wireless
or
b) make both wireless.
My question is, how would I do that? (keep in mind my PC does not have any type of wireless connection to it.) ...is there a Modem/router that can do this? forgive my ignorance. :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i use a linksys router when i am at home. i did not have a problem setting it up. i mainly use the web browser interface to tweak the settings. i have found that the firefox web browser works best with my router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.